We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corsica - summer 2013

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Corsica - summer 2013

Our family of 4 (2 college students) planning 10-12 trip in the summer. How many places should we stay - possible to stay in two with day trips? we like a combination of quaint villages, hiking, some beach. How much of the island should we focus on seeing without feeling like we are running around too much?

thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corsica - summer 2013

Like most of the South of France, Corsica is very busy in the summer. (if you are talking about July and August). Are you planning on a vacation rental or hotels? If you want to do a vacation rental and be in two places...rent a house or villa in the southern part of the island for a week (one week...Saturday to Saturday, is pretty much the standard) and then spen 3 or 4 days in a hotel in the northern part of the island...do the northern part first.

Here are some things to consider...

IMO a car is required for sure. I would describe driving on Corsica as "interesting." There is maybe100 yards of straight road on the whole island and as Corsica is an extremely popular destination for the motorhome crowd, plan on having one in front of you (driving slowly) most of the time. You could literally spend most of your time there driving at about 20 miles an hour.

All that being said, the scenery around Corsica is spectacular and driving also involves a lot of stops to take in the views. Particularly things like the Lion di Roccapina, Sartene Village, Aiguilles de Bavella, Zonza, Alto Rocca and the Ajaccio Coast. Spectacular! Another interesting thing about driving in Corsica are the bullet-ridden road signs!

Let us know how else we can help...

David

Edited: 9:01 pm, November 01, 2012
Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
294 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corsica - summer 2013

I fully agree with datthecoast if you go in the peak season (July-August) I would also recommend to base yourself for one week for instance in a self-catered accommodation and then combine this with one or several hotel stays in the opposite part of the island. Mind you if you plan to go in the the peak season now is the time to book.

There is absolutely wonderful both in the North and South. The middle part of the East coast is the least spectacular, so personally I would skip that part.

If you would consider basing yourself in the beautyful Balagne region in the North (very much recommended) you might get some ideas of what you can accomplish in daytrips from this document, which contains my favourite things to do: algajola.dk/Trips%20from%20Algajola-2011.pdf

Enjoy Corsica!

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

3. Re: Corsica - summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 15, 2013