We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corsica Advise & Advice

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Corsica Advise & Advice

Looking for direction, for a starting place to begin vacation homework re Corsica - would be my first trip there. Was in Nice last year and found myself looking at the ferries to Corsica, wondering...

I would be there for two weeks latter part of October into early November; want to be in one place only and do day trips from there in addition to soaking in all in that area. Do not want to rent a car. Senior, female, traveling alone, coming from the US; fervent walker [but not a hiker]. Also looking for best way to get to Corsica.

Although I would not find it at all hard to return to Nice this year as there was so much I did not get to do in the two weeks there, I know that I would once again be looking at the ferries and wondering. Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

we are aslo from the States and going for first time in june for 9 days; while we are renting a car and touring around for part of the trip, we are also ging to stay put in Calvi for 4 days and use the train to go up and down and inland; from what i have read, that is one of the better spots to roost if you don't have a car--hope this helps! grams98

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

Thank you! Hope you post a travel report after your return.

Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

we are also taking ferry from livorno to bastia, as we are starting our trip in italy; ending our trip by going from calvi to nice on ferry; then flying home from nice--hope this helps; grams98

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

Hello Rexaroonie and congratulations on your choice to try to visit Corsica, i am completely bias but this is a great island!

Unfortunately going in Corsica without renting a car is just not possible, unless your are prepared to pay the price, ie. not visit anything and/or spend a lot of money on taxis which i would not recommand. It would be like visting Nebraska without a car, not that there are long distances but because Corsica is about country side and there is almost no relevant public transport. One alternative would be to stay in a big city like Ajaccio or Bastia but you would really miss the entire point of the island. A second option would be to go to a full service hotel but then you will have to rely on taxis for your daily trips.

One other thing, November is great to discover the island, but it could be a bit cold and wet (8C to 15C)

Happy to help further if you have more data points (incl. budget)

VillaFanny - PortoVecchio

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

The pointer about Nebraska helped enormously with envisioning. Re car rental, I was mostly concerned with parking issues [seeing parking in Nice and in Paris has been daunting] anywhere I might go, including where I would stay. Years ago lost my mind driving in Dublin, but was completely happy with driving outside and swore I would just avoid driving in large cities in the future. Is it do-able on Corsica to get into a city minus the car and get out again, back to the country? Better to pick up a rental in France or in Corsica?

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

Hey Rexaroonie, there is no big city in Corsica, 300,000 people on the whole island and only two cities which are Ajaccio and Bastia and clearly they are not the "highlights of the island" as opposed to Paris/Nice/Dublin (would you go in Nebraska only to visit Omaha city?). Parking will really-really not be an issue, you could be driving for your entire holiday without seeing any traffic light and there is no highway for instance. The island is all about scenaries, beautiful mountains and beaches, local people and quite and remote places.

For car rental it is much better to rent in Corsica, if anything because it is much cheaper as you save a couple of days of rental and travelling by foot is really cheaper on a ferry.

Good luck with your preparation!

VillaFanny - PortoVecchio

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

Rexaroonie,

I was in Corsica the last week of October 2010. This is well outside of the main tourist season and some establishments were closed.

I would recommend hiring a car, you will get to see some wonderful sites.

As far as the weather, well what can I say. During my stay we had beautiful sunshine, clear skies, heavy rain and snow (the first of the year). It was all so special from picnic's on the beach, swimming in the sea, lazing by the hotel pool and walking at the Col de Bavella (in the snow).

If you hire a car and visit any of the towns please be mindful of paying the parking meter charges, the police certainly in Porto Vecchio were dishing parking fines out.

Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

fo what it is worth, we are staying at hotels with free parking the first part of the trip, before we take train to calvi fromajaccio; le goeland, poto vecchio, has free parking, and we can walk to old town and to the port de plaisance; in bonfacio we are staying up at the citadel, at le genovese, with again, free parking; when we get to ajaccio, hotel napoleon charges 10 euros, but as we take the train to calvi the next morning, we just may return the car that eveing and avoid the 10 euros charge for parking--just to fiish out the hotel info, we are spending our last three nights in calvi at hotel l'onda, and from what i have read, the local train will take us to many cool spots, so no car needed. we ferry home from ther--good luck, grams98

9. Re: Corsica Advise & Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 28, 2012