We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corsica's mountain roads

Bruxelles
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Corsica's mountain roads

I was wondering what are the roads like in general on Corsica, I know its mountainous so I expect some narrow winding roads - but are they all like that? The coast roads, the main routes or should we just expect that on the smaller roads bteween the towns??

Small narrow, winding roads with vertiginous drops make me nervous.....in a big car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Corsica's mountain roads

Hello,

Yes you will find some small roads but this is only in the mountains - should you like to avoid the small roads and stay on the main ones this is very much possible (Bastia to Porto Vecchio for instance is nothing but a straight line).

Enjoy Corsica!

Villa Fanny

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corsica's mountain roads

I actually disagree with villafanny. If you are going to stay on the wide main roads, then you might as well not bother to visit Corsica at all, since you will miss much of what it has to offer. You should be prepared to tackle at least some of the slightly more hazardous roads. For example. you can visit Les Calanques and Porto from Ajaccio on roads that are not particularly scary but are narrow and winding in places. You could also tackle Cap Corse anticlockwise when you will not be against the cliff edges. And if a big car makes you nervous, why not hire a small car?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corsica's mountain roads

Some of the road on the west side are not for the faint of heart, particularly from Calvi south. They can be very narrow, with no guardrails and steep dropoffs into the ocean. D81b comes to mind as an example. Still the views along D81 can be breathtaking, all the way to Ajaccio and if you are taking the time to visit Corsica, travelling the western coast is what you´re there for.

Sunapee, NH
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Corsica's mountain roads

We were in Corsica this past Oct for 6 nights and LOVED every minute. The excellent advice from both aardvark10 and Sarastro are spot on - the West coast and Cap Corse are spectacular. You will do much better in a small car with a manual trans. When we went inland from Piana to Corte, we were on 30-60 minute stretches of 2nd gear (very rugged & narrow) , twist full left / twist full right. It was late Oct so hardly any other cars - I shutter to think what most of their roads are like in busy Aug. The West Coast and Cap Corse were similar roads. ALL had spectacular scenery - quite varied! Bonifacio (southern tip) and Centuri Harbor (northern tip) were both very special. To enjoy Corsica, you must be very adventurous and be into outdoor scenery. We flew into Ajaccio, toured for 6+ days (was supposed to be 7 but French protests delayed flight for a day) and then dropped car in Bastia and took ferry to Livorno, Italy (where we started 10+days of touring Tuscany, Florence, Pisa and then did lots of hiking in Cinque Terre - a very magical area!). This all worked great but we could have easily spent 2+ weeks in Corsica. We had many fantastic meals - best were "Le 24" in Corte, La Voute in Piana and a small outdoor restaurant in Centuri Harbor. Here is link to our pictures:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome…

Enjoy!!

5. Re: Corsica's mountain roads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 21, 2012