We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

Which Reims hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich
Level Contributor
4 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

On a sunny afternoon I was meandering through the centre of Reims, searching for a fromagerie. For a full 2 hours. Would you believe that I did not find one single cheese shop, not even a food shop other than boulangeries? Not even many other interesting shops? Where is the money that must be produced by the entire Champagne industry? Not in Reims, it seems. I was so p... off that I decided to leave this frustrating place. What's the good thing about a traffic free zone (except for the huge space reserved for public transport), if there are hardly any decent shops? Why does Reims not have a great shopping zone at all? Apologies to all shopowners in Reims. But there is room for improvement.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

a quick visit to pagesjaunes.fr indicates that there are two fromagers just a few blocks from the cathedral, 3 charcuteries, a half-dozen boucheries, a half-dozen epiceries fines, dozens of epiceries (alimentation general)...and no end of places to buy champagne.

In a city of 200 000 people, there's no way that there's nowhere to buy something to eat...and I'm pretty sure the folks at the Office of Tourism would have pointed you to any of them.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

If you ever go back to Riems have a quick look at Place de Forum - a short distance from 'l'Hotel de Ville'.

One short length of road has Cave aux Fromages next to a Charcuterie, Epicerie, Poissonnerie, Boucherie, Patisserie and a Brasserie - where you can sit and enjoy a drink after all the food shopping you have done!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,460 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

Oh come on Sunshine and Keith - we all 3 of us know that no-one in Reims acutally eats anything - why would there be shops?!

They all just live on the lifelong healthgiving effects of Champagne!!

Wa-hay!! ;-)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

EssexWanderer - They all just live on the lifelong healthgiving effects of Champagne!!

If only!

Wasn't Riems, many moons ago, the Gingerbread capital of France?

There's a decent recipe for 'Gingerbread-Champagne Sandwich Cookies' on the web if you fancy something different for dessert.

Also Gingerbread-Champagne Pancakes if required.

Cheers!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,460 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

OK, I give in!!

Yes, you can get Pain d'epices and Biscuits Roses at Fossier:

http://www.fossier.fr/

Mind you, personally I am a big fan of the lifelong healthgiving effects of Champagne!!

Champagne, France
Level Contributor
291 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

Me too!! :-)

7. Re: Reims - the only French place without food shops?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, October 16, 2012