We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

Which Epernay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

We arrive at CDG at 7am and have lodging in Épernay. We will rent a car for the area but prefer not to rent the car at CDG airport. After Épernay/Reims we will be going to Paris for the remainder of our trip.

I would like advice on which city would be the best option for taking the train and renting the car - Reims or Épernay?

I think I read on another thread that there is not a direct train from CDG to Épernay as you have to change trains?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

If you arrive at CDG at 07.00, you will have to wait until 12.28 for a TGV from CDG to Champagne Ardenne TGV station, 8 km from Reims. From there, you can take a local train to Reims. Change at Reims for Epernay.

I would suggest you see if you can rent a car at Champagne Ardenne TGV station.

For the best train prices, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 or 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets can sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" on the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response!

Interesting that when I checked the train schedule (before I read your post on using Antarctic) it gave me a departure of 8:30ish am. I chose the departure from CDG but after reading about it more closely it was actually from Gare l'Est! That would have been a terrible discovery on our travel day!!

Waiting until 12:30 isn't appealing and I may have to reconsider driving from CDG with a car rental. It's the rental car return to CDG that I'm not fond of.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

I would urge you not to drive straight after getting off a long-haul flight. It is only a two-hour journey, but it is not a good idea to drive on unfamiliar and busy roads after a long flight.

One-way rentals in France are either cheap or free, so you do not have to return where you picked up.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

Since my dates are past the current booking dates, how can I find out what times will be offered to return to Paris via the high-speed TGV train from Reims? Is it safe to assume the times offered in Aug will be offered in Sept?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

The usual dates for timetable changes are the 2nd Sunday in June and December, so there is a very high probability that the times in September will be the same as August.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

Thanks, Nick!

7. Re: Reims or Épernay for train & car rental from CDG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 18, 2013