We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendations for lesser known Champagne houses?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommendations for lesser known Champagne houses?

Mrs Maximus and I will be spending a couple of days in Epernay later this month to replenish our badly depleted Champagne stocks. We already have a couple of places in mind that we definitely want to visit, but it's always nice to try something new, so we'd also like to visit some small Champagne houses we've never tried before and see if we like them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for real little gems among the small Champagne houses? In or near Epernay would be a plus, but it's not a problem to drive around a bit to hunt out the good places if need be.

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendations for lesser known Champagne houses?

I like Champagne Raymond Boulard which is just outside Reims close to the motorway back to Calais which I am guessing you'll be driving back on.

Francis Boulard is the owner/viticulturist/winemaker. He speaks limited English, is very open-minded in that he runs a group that tastes sparkling wines from all over the world. He is growing bio-dynamically and makes a range of Champagnes.

He ownes vineyards in 5 areas of Champagne including Grand-Cru rated vineyards.

The website is at www.champagne-boulard.fr/en/vineyard.htm

I suggest you email first to check he is personally available to pour your tastings as otherwise he may be in the vineyards.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendations for lesser known Champagne houses?

Ruinart in Reims.

3. Re: Any recommendations for lesser known Champagne houses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 27, 2010