We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

Hartpury, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
169 reviews
Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

We are arriving in Epernay on a Friday afternoon at the end of September, just for one night. We will only have the afternoon / evening there so can anyone reccommend a particular champagne house tour there? Have heard mixed things about Moet Chandon - has anyone been to the Achille Princier Champagne house? Will we need to book beforehand or can we just turn up? Thanks v much!

Flitwick, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

Hi, it depends if you hire a car or not. If you don't have a car I'd recommend the Moet and Chandon tour. Its in a very central location and the tour is very professional and the guides are very well informed about champagne. There are several champagne houses in the same street as Moet. Another option is Castellane. It is easily recognisable as it has a large tower. At the far end of the street is Mercier. It is only a good option if you have sore feet(!!!) as they take you around the cellars in a train. You don't have the option of asking questions, as the tour is very scripted, but if you have time, have a look and see for yourself.

However, if you have a car, I'd recommend getting away from epernay and driving along the cote de blancs. Better still, if you have time drive all the way to Reims via Verzy. All the villages in the Cote de Blanc are Grand Crus and you will get excellent champagne for 15 euros. The villages of Mesnil sur Oger and Oger are particularly good. This compares with over 100euros for the same quality champagne at the big houses. Our favourite trip was at the Canard Duchene house in Ludes. As you are going at the ned of September, it will be harvest time and if you are lucky you might spot a tractor with a trailor full of grapes! I followed a tractor back to the caves and was able to watch them pressing the grapes and we were even alowed to taste the wine as it was being pressed!

One thing to remember, it is very cold in the cellars, (10C) so bring a jacket with you.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. I've been going to the area for years and I've been to most of the major champagne houses.

Hartpury, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
169 reviews
2. Re: Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

Sanda - thanks so much for your reply. We do have a car, so will definately take a drive out of Epernay as you suggested dependant on time etc. Many thanks

Hitchin, Herts
2 posts
3. Re: Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

Hi this is Ian. Go and taste the champagnes at Diogene Tissier in Chavot Coucourt. Head out of Epernay toward Pierry follow the road to Moussy where yo might see the hotel Auberge Champenoise on your right. Continue for 1/2 mile then turn left. follow the road to a crossroads continue up into the village and Diogene Tissier is toward the top of the village. They will look after you very nicely. I think their champagne is excellent and very soft on the palate. Good luck.

4. Re: Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:10 am, May 30, 2016
Hitchin, Herts
2 posts
5. Re: Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

Hi. You were asking about Diogene Tissier ar Chavot-Coucourt. A family firm with a range of cuvees. Madama Tissier, if she is there will look after you splendidly. 10 min drive from middle of Epernay.

Good Luck - Bonne chance et A la votre.

Ian

6. Re: Which Champagne House tour would you reccommend in Epernay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 30, 2009