We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loire Valley 1st week in May

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
255 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Loire Valley 1st week in May

As it turned out we didn't go in December. We decided to go the 1st week in May when the weather should be nice.

We will be in the Valley for 5 days. We are driving. Now the question is, do we take Tours as our base as many people suggest? Or should we stay at least one nite in Chinon and 1 nite in Amboise? Some one said you loose a lot of time changing hotels. I will like to have other opinions.

Also, if you drove the back roads please give us suggestions. I understand it is very nice taking the back roads.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

Tours is an underrated large French city, with the Place Plumereu a great place to stroll on a warm evening. However, driving in and out of Tours is not easy, so that be ready to address that, as well as parking. It is a perfect location for seeing the chateaux, but the driving may be a little tiring if you're going in and out of the city every day. Plus, you may want to get a taste of staying in a pretty rural town in the Loire, either to the east or west of Tours, both of which are wonderful and have plenty of small/medium sized towns.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
255 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

Thank you Chip Travel,

It sounds that you agree that one doesn't want to be changing hotels every nite.

What if we stay right out side Tours, or do you have an exact suggestion of a small town and hotel around Tours?

Thanks again.

tours, france
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

Tours(Towers) it is unless one hour of most of the chateaux, is a strategique place. You can take a hotel towards the boulvard heurteloup. It is central, and to go out of Tours it is very easy.

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

Tours is a big town.

If you don't want absoluetly a big town, I think that amboise is better located to visit the Loire castles. And it is a middle town (15000 inhabitants) of charm more sympathic than Tours.

Moreover, if you see a map, you will see that amboise is the heart of the Loire casltes (Amboise, Chambord, Chenonceau, Chaumont, Cheverny, Villandry and Azay-le-Rideau.) Tours is closer of Azay-Le-Rideau, Villandry and Chinon, but more far than all the others ones.

You can see differents information on the Office de Tourisme website of Amboise.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
428 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

We are spending four days in the Loire & decided to stay in two different places mainly to experience a few different B&Bs. One is near Saumur called La Croix de la Voulte, http://www.lacroixdelavoulte.com/, and the other is near Amboise called Moulin du Fief Gentil, http://www.fiefgentil.com/. Both get good reviews & are priced reasonablly. Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

We have stayed in Tours, Blere, and Chenonceaux. We preferred Chenonceaux. Tours is to large and busy. Blere only has one good restaurant. So when we go back it will be in Chenonceaux. Easy access to Amboise, Chambord, and Chenonceaux and no problem in seeing Chinon, Vilandray, Azay le Rideaux from this location.

Taco Tom

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

I drive past this place quite a lot http://tinyurl.com/2hfbo3

I have never stayed there, but am always tempted even though it is only 30 miles from home. I dunno why it appeals, it just looks right.....

Its big advatage is that it is outside Tours, and you can get to all the Chateaux mentioned here without having to use the toll road that you have to use to cross Tours from North to South

8. Re: Loire Valley 1st week in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 25, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question