We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we choose Loire Valley

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Should we choose Loire Valley

Hello all. I have a very broad question to start with as we haven't been to this region of France before. I am hoping to get a short list of places to stay/visit on a short stopover in France. We will be breaking up Scotland (relatives) and Northern Ireland (family) with an 8 day stay in France. We will fly from Edinburgh to Bergerac and stay with Aussie friends who now live in Sadillac for 4 days. We then intend to meet up with my wife's sister who live in London for 4 days before flying back to Belfast from Paris on the Sunday.

So where to visit and where to stay is the question. We first thought of Loire Valley on an Amazing Race TV show when they did a challenge in a Champignon Cave. The area and caves looked really interesting but I have forgotten the town name they were filmed in. Given that we will probably have to get a train from the Sadillac region and then another train to Paris on the Sunday, could anyone suggest a good location for me to start researching.

Our other interests are wine, walking, photography. We also enjoy the historic buildings that are so well filmed throughout France when Le Tour is broadcast around the world. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Will

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

I think your plan sounds fine. The only good areas to see are the ones you want to see. That part is up to you. With only a few days in the area you're never going to see all there is to see in the Loire. My advice is to always decide what sites you want to visit and then pick a base that is centrally located to visit those sites. Have a look at this thread for places to visit near Chinon and the Château de Ternay:

tripadvisor.com/…48244380

Other châteaux not far off you could visit are Azay-le-Rideau and Villandy:

http://azay-le-rideau.monuments-nationaux.fr/

http://www.chateauvillandry.fr/

The only part of your plan I question is staying in Tours on Saturday night if you have a flight on Sunday. If you're flying back to Australia you need to be at the check-in counter at the airport at least 2 hours and preferably 3 hours before your flight departs. If you stay in Tours make sure you consider the time it will take to get from there to the airport.

Edited: 6:28 am, March 30, 2013
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

FM, we won't be returning to Australia on the Sunday, we will just be transiting to Belfast. We were originally going to fly out of Paris where they had a direct flight to Belfast but on further checking it seems that a Tours - London - Belfast connection would be just as easy, given the time it would take to catch a train to a Paris airport and then the flight time to Belfast.

Unfortunately Tours doesn't seem to have a direct flight to Belfast. Can anyone comment on the flight connection available, Ryanair (who seem to have a bad reputation) Tours to Stanstead and Easy Jet from Stanstead to Belfast.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

You might want to start another thread to post your flight question since other people may not be looking at this thread anymore. I don't know anything about flights and airlines so can't help with this question. Good luck. :)

14. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, April 01, 2013
Delhi, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

why not its just a best place to visit you can book your tickets from http://us.makemytrip.com

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

We are still trying to work out a base for our Loire Valley trip. The 4 days in the valley area are sorted out but just need to find a starting and finishing town. There is a better flight option to Belfast from Poitiers and I was wondering how Poitiers compares with Tours. We would be catching a train up from Sadillac/Bergerac area and picking up a rental car. After the 4 days touring we would be returing to Tours or Poitiers on the Saturday and staying in the town overnight before flying out on the Sunday. Would like some views on the comparison of the two towns and the locality of the Loire Valley and ease of touring from either. Cheers.

17. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:58 pm, May 16, 2013
18. Re: Should we choose Loire Valley

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 18, 2014