We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment or hotel

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
apartment or hotel

Hello-I'm planning a visit to Chinon this Septmeber

I want to stay in the village on the side of the river vienne where the Chateau is. I don't plan on renting a car so I want to be centrally located to eating places etc..

Is there enough to do for 3-4 weeks?

This trip is for a time of relaxing and refreshing so I don't want to necessarly be moving around everyday.

I understand the train station is close so I will use that for local touring.

I'm not having much luck finding an apartment.

1 brd is fine but will need twin beds. If a hotel I would like something cozy but not too confining if I stay 3-4 weeks. Price is my biggest concern so that is why I thought an apartment might be less expensive.

Also is this village a busy meca with lots of traffic lights? If so I should try another midievil village!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

sks61

Mentioned in this post
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment or hotel

Hi there

Chinon is a lovely little town and is fairly quiet except for vignerons rushing around (especially if you are there when harvest is already going, in which case there will be tractors pulling grapes at the end of the morning and the afternoon).

I expect most of the apartments to rent are outside the town in the countryside.

One hotel you might want to look at is the 2-star Hotel Diderot (http://www.hoteldiderot.com). American Food and wine writer based in Paris, with a house near Chinon Jackie Friedrich recommends it in my guides (http://www.winetravelguides.com) and states "A simple, charming, moderately priced hotel on a medieval street in the centre of Chinon. The hotel lends bikes, has its own enclosed parking lot and, with breakfast, the world’s best homemade jam." It looks really nice on the website.

Perhaps if you are staying 3+ weeks without a car you should consider basing yourself in 2 or 3 different centres in the Loire, then you will find more to do!

Hope this helps kick-start some more research.

Mentioned in this post
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Hotel Diderot
Hotel Diderot
938 Reviews
Chinon, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment or hotel

Thank you for your reply. It is helpful, especially the idea of locating in several places.

I checked out the hotel you suggested and it looks charming.....

Thanks,

sks61

3. Re: apartment or hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 17, 2009