We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday closing

Which Amboise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Monday closing

In mid September, we stayed for one night in Le Vieux Manoir on our way from Nice to Cherbourg. The hotel was great but unfortunately nearly every shop and some restaurants in Amboise were closed on Monday afternoon and the whole town felt really dead. I know it's really all about the Chateau, but we were surprised at how dead the whole town felt, given that it is a fairly well known tourist destination.

We also managed to eat in a terrible pasta restaurant beside the Chateau. The staff in the Touraine wine tasting centre and shop seemed bored and were rather unwelcoming.

We have been to Amboise before, in May, and it was fine. So this is just a warning not to go on a Monday unless the Chateau is all you are interested in!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday closing

This is pretty common throughout France. Often more shops, etc., are open on Sundays than on Mondays.

Armagh
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday closing

I found this in Langeais as well - I was planning to go there on Wednesday this week, but moved the visit to Monday because of the strikes in France. The chateau was open, and well worth the visit, but little else was, and there were numbers of disconsolate tourists wandering round at lunchtime looking for somewhere to eat.

I ended up in an unprepossessing little bar near the station, and asked for a croque monsieur (with low expectations, as the last one I'd had was heated in the microwave!) It turned out to be excellent, freshly prepared, crisp and served with a fresh salad.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday closing

Any time you are in a small town or village in France, expect it to be slow to shut down on Mondays.

It's not unusual, and it's not a sign of any economic malaise. Most things are closed on Mondays in rural France.

Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday closing

Yes, I think that is perfectly reasonable. It just seemed surprising to me that a tourist centre such as Amboise would be the same.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monday closing

Other than Paris, I can't think of anywhere in France that isn't at least slower than usual on Monday.

Since it's a similar thought....do remember that many things are also closed for lunch in smaller towns, too -- typically 12:00- 1:30 pm or 12:30-2:00 pm.

6. Re: Monday closing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 14, 2011