We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Amboise

Which Amboise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in Amboise

Hi all,

Thinking of a trip to the Loire Valley, staying in Amboise. Can anyone give me an idea of what the area is like, where to eat and what to expect to pay?

Thank you!

Level Contributor
767 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Eating in Amboise

We were in Amboise as a base for touring some of the Loire the last week of August 2007. Wanted a town with restaurants for dinner so we could have wine and not worry about driving. Amboise fit the bill. For breakfasts, lunch, tea and ice cream / pastries would recommend Bigot. Also wonderful chocolates and marzipan. Had crepes one afternoon at Anne de Bretagne but were sorry we had not selected the mussels.

Best dinner was at Lion d'Or with a Price Fix at 30 euros for three courses. Food was inteesting with great combinations of tastes and textures. Service and atmosphere were friendly and charming.

Also enjoyed dinner at L'Epicerie for about 58 euros for two with drinks. More expensive but very elegent is Le Choiseul. It is in an Etap Hotel and is a gastronomique restaurant. Food is wonderful but price with wine and aperitifs was 194 euros.

Also dinner at Alliance. OK but my least favorite of the four. But they had two large private parties there that night so kitchen may have been overwhelmed.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Eating in Amboise

<<<Amboise is not the best place in the Loire Valley to stay>>>

I completely agree with the Wiz. Amboise is vastly overrated as a base from which to visit the valley. Consider:

1. The chateau itself. Its grandeur greatly diminished by the dismantling and subsequent selling of much of the stone blocks used in its original construction. Of much greater architectural importance are the nearby chateaux of Blois, Chambord, and Chenonceau.

2. The location is not central. It's a longer drive than necessary to Azay le Rideau, Ussé, Villandry, Langeais, and Saumur.

3. I believe it to be generally overpriced as compared to other locations offering similar services.

4. Much more difficult to reach by train than either Blois or Tours.

5. Shopping (or services in general) for items other than tourist trinkets is limited.

For a multi day visit, I much prefer Tours for its nightlife, restaurants, museums, central location, and other services. For shorter stays I recommend the Chambre d'hotes near Cheverny or Chenonceau.

I am not sure as to why Amboise has had such a sudden surge in popularity over the last several years but for the creative and inquisitive traveler, there are many more inspiring locations in the Loire Valley to use as a base than Amboise.

CA
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Eating in Amboise

Drive over to Blere and have dinner at Le Cheval Blanc.

14. Re: Eating in Amboise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 10, 2009