We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From NL to/from Dijon

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
From NL to/from Dijon

Hi Folks,

Appreciate and welcome any help/info on how to travel from The Hague, Netherlands to Dijon. France- train or flight? Plan trip fro 4D3N in mid-Feb.

Thanks in advance,

THippo

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

Unfortunately you are a bit late for the best fares. If you can still find any discounted train fares second class RT by Thalys high speed train from Den Haag to Paris would probably be about 140€, first class perhaps 165€. Full fare second class would be about 180€, first class about 290€. The trip time is about 3.5 hours. RT fares from Paris to Dijon would be anywhere from 40€ if you can find deeply discounted second class fares to about 105€ full fare in second class, 160€ full fare in first class. I don't think first class is necessary for this relatively short — ~100 minute — trip unless you can find deep discounts. Personally I'dprobably travel second class on the other leg of the trip too. You would need to transfer in Paris from Gare du Nord where the Thalys from Den Haag arrives to Gare de Lyon from which trains to Dijon depart. This is relatively easy but you should allow *at least* an hour for this.

By air, depending on your travel dates you *might* be able to find RT fares between Amsterdam and Paris on Air France or KLM for about 300€, maybe a bit less, possibly quite a bit more. You would still have to get from Den Haag to Schiphol and from CDG to Dijon. There are no budget airlines operating this route.

I would definitely do this by train rather than plane. It should be quicker, probably cheaper, and definitely more convenient.

For train timetables and fares look at www.thalys.com and www.voyages-sncf.com. For the air options www.airfrance.fr and www.klm.com

Good luck!

Dijon, France
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

Hi, I just checked on the sncf website, entered the 19th feb as the date and found a deal at 110euros Den haag- Paris- Dijon in 7hours. (2 hours change in Paris) (Thalys and TGV)

Welcome to Dijon, if you need help, please ask :-)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

IrishRovr, happyindijon,

A big thank-you on the information.

It is partly my fault as I cannot able to make up mind on where to on 'side trip' . I want to escape to a destination, preferably nearby NL where I can enjoy the scenery (accessible by walking), local shopping and food despite the cold weather.

Dijon came to mind due to food - thx to Discovery Travel & Living channel.

If I do go, it will be from Feb 16- 19th. Is there a link where we access the sncf website in English?

Thx again,

THippo

Dijon, France
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

Try here http://tinyurl.com/yog5u4

Don't forget to read the posting about sncf bookings by MorganB

http://tinyurl.com/2gxsr7

Have a great trip!

Where will you be staying in Dijon?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

Hi happyindijon,

Again, appreciate your help and thx :-).

As to where to stay -any suggestions? Budget traveller but like a room to self , within walking distance to most , if not all of the Dijon attractions. Too, not planning to rent a car, perhaps that is a disadvantage - cannot visit the wineries which is the much-talked about...

Cheers,

THippo

Dijon, France
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

Hi Hippo

Have a look at www.cotedor-tourisme.com to see all kinds of hotels in Dijon. If you want something authentic try "le Sauvage" or "le Jacquemart", le "Chambellan". "Villages hotel" is next to the main shopping street, less authentic but 45€.

You don't need a car at all in Dijon, jump into the small green and white bus called diviaciti (free of charge) that goes around and through the center.

You can take a train or a bus to Beaune and go to a winery there.(Patriarche, Marché aux vins)

Good luck :-)

7. Re: From NL to/from Dijon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dijon