We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok to visit Dijon in April?

Which Dijon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Ok to visit Dijon in April?

We are to visit Dijon this mid April. When I was trying to book hotels, I was told by some staff from the hotels that there's a big tramway construction going on right now in the center of the city. They said this ruins the city's overall appearance. Dijon is our connection to our road trip going to Lucerne. We will be coming from Pierrefonds, France and we thought of taking a rest in Dijon where we are half-way to our destination. Is Dijon not worth visitng at this time (they said construction will take a year). If ever, what are the nearby alternatives? I was told Heidelberg but we're been there before. How Freiburg or any other suggestion?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dijon, France
Level Contributor
799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

I'm really surpised to see that the hotels discourage you from staying in Dijon. The historic centre is not spoilt at all fortunately. You may have difficulties by car around the train station and main streets around the centre but if you can leave your car at the hotel you won't need it anyway since you can walk everywhere.

The new tramway is due in Sept 2012 so I'm sure the streets won't look so terrible in April. Don't hesitate to ask you way to the Dijonnais, they'll be happy to help you. :)

To give you an idea check the map here letram-dijon.fr/fr/…le-trace . The historic centre is South of stops Darcy, Godrans and Republique.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

It isn't so much the city's appearance, as the difficulty of driving into central Dijon. We found the driving very, very difficult. I would not choose Dijon for a one-night stopover at this time. I am not familiar with the route, but Beaune is fairly nearby, is lovely and does not have the traffic difficulties.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

Also try to choose a driving route leaving Pierrefonds that does not involve driving through the suburbs of Paris, if possible. Ask for driving directions at your Hotel in Pierrefonds; do not just rely on Google Maps as it may direct you through suburban Paris.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

Perhaps Strasbourg or Colmar would suit your needs?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

redstone1365 - The previous poster, happyindijon, has a lovely place in Dijon that they rent out. They can't promote themselves here but I can mention them. I've never stayed there but several other posters here have and they love it. If you're interested why don't you check out their website:

http://myhomeindijon.com/

I'm sure they could help you with any parking/driving problems as well as all kinds of info about what to see and do and where to eat in Dijon.

Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

I was there is September, taking my 80 year old father.We both really enjoyed 2 days there.The main area affected by the tramworks was around the station then.When you got away from that , the town is its beautiful self.

We hired and returned a car from the rental company at the station.I knew in advance about the roadworks .I had a GPS and planning the route beforehand to avoid the raodworks helped.

I really recommend the museum ( musee des beaux arts)-very well worth visiting but don't miss the upper floors which I did on my first visit.It's closed Tuesdays.

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I will still consider Dijon but my mind is not far from exploring a bit of Beaune too. All your inputs were appreciated.

Happy tripping!:-)

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

Hm...Colmar and Strasbourg...I will research on that too. Thanks Pasca!

oxford/chinon
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

Have you thought of Autun.

It is very beautifully, interesting and has several good restaurants - and you can drive in , out and around without feeling as though you are lost in Hades. All large french cities are ghastly to drive in and out off but Dijon comes near the top for me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ok to visit Dijon in April?

We're also going to be in Dijon in April, and we'll be driving. We'd like to park the car and get around on foot as much as possible. Could anyone suggest a good area to stay outside the centre of Dijon, but easily accessible by public transport?

Get answers to your questions about Dijon
Recent Conversations