We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dijon in March or somewhere else?

Which Dijon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dijon in March or somewhere else?

We will be in Paris in the early spring and then travel to Lyon. I was planning to stop in Dijon, but it looks like there is a lot of construction going on there. Should we stay with Dijon, or choose another intermediate destination? thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,059 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

The construction of the new tramway has been making a mess in the newer parts of the town, but has had no effect on the historic centre, which is mostly pedestrianised. It is a lovely city: don't miss it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

Thanks - that is good news. Any advise on a hotel? We will not have a car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,059 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

In July, we stayed in "My home in Dijon", a very comfortable studio apartment right in the centre of the historic old town. Coco, the owner, met us at the station, drove us to the apartment, got us settled in, and then gave us a walking tour around the city centre. Breakfast provisions are provided "for the first day", but there was enough for both the days we stayed. See http://www.myhomeindijon.com/

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

We were glad we stayed near the lovely town of Beaune instead of Dijon, as getting in and out of Dijon to see the nearby countryside and vineyards would be a pain. We drove into Dijon one day, and getting in and out of the city was NOT easy. If you stay in Beaune, you could easily take a train to Dijon for the day. You also might want to consider Beaune, or the area nearby, for a break from big cities, if your other stays will be in Paris and Lyon. It would make a nice change.

For an excellent mid-priced hotel (really a bargain at 85-105 euros per room), I'd recommend Hotel Le Clos in Montagny-les-Beaune, a village 5 minutes outside of Beaune. We loved it.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

Just noticed you will not have a car. In that case, if you prefer large cities, Dijon should be fine. If you'd prefer a smaller town, I think Beaune would still work. There are plenty of trains between Dijon and Beaune; no idea about trains between Beaune and Lyon. (The hotel I recommended will not be suitable without a car.)

My son took the tgv from Paris to Dijon and it was amazingly fast. Try to buy your tickets on the European TGV site rather than Raileurope, the one google directs you to; you'll save a bunch of money. There are instructions for doing this other places in the France forum.

Edited: 1:25 pm, December 08, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,059 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" on the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has much higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Book as early as possible for the best price. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel.

7. Re: Dijon in March or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, December 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Dijon