We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip to include Dijon?

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
10 day trip to include Dijon?

I am so confused on what to include in our 10 day/night trip to France. First it was Paris-Avignon-Nice but now I am thinking Dijon could be our last stop on the way back to Paris.

We are big vinophiles so the Burgundy region seems fitting. South of France looks so beautiful too though, so I am having a hard time making a decision. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip to include Dijon?

Paris + Provence + Côte d'Azur + Burgundy is way too ambitious for a 10 day trip. Aside from anything else you will lose a good chunk of four days to travel, at least a half day in most cases when you include packing and unpacking and all the hotel nonsense. Don't forget that you will lose most of your first day to jet-lag and if you are including your travel day to the US you really can't do anything that day except deal with getting to the airport.

In fact I would suggest your original itinerary is ambitious. If this is your first trip I would suggest 5-6 days in Paris with the balance in one of the regions you are interested in.

When are you travelling? this might make a difference as to which area(s) outside Paris would be best to visit.

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip to include Dijon?

Thank you for the feedback. We are there Oct 10-21. We have the first 3 nights and the very last night in Paris booked already so we are working with 6 other nights now.

We did 4 cities in Italy in 11 days and while I'm sure we missed a lot, we liked getting the different feels of the different cities so a 3 city trip is slowing it down a bit. :)

I have also been to Paris before although my husband has not.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip to include Dijon?

Yes, but Provence, Burgundy and the Côte d'Azur are not cities but large regions, each with more than enough to keep you busy for weeks. Just to give you an idea the region most commonly referred to as Provence is around 5,000 square miles in area and contains literally dozens of towns and villages worth exploring to say nothing of all the other sites, and then you have several areas of superb vineyards. Even four days in any of these regions will barely let you scratch the surface.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day trip to include Dijon?

Hi

I am just really agreeing with IrishRovr, I think you are trying to do to much.

Dijon is a great city and well worth a visit. However if the reason you are coming to Burgundy is wine, then you need a car and at least a few days. Dijon its self does not really have much viticulture other than a few wine shops.

Burgundy is very rural, you have Dijon the only real city, then a number of smaller towns and 100's of villages. I live in a market town in the north of the Cote d'or, its only a small town with 6000 people, but we serve as the centre for over 100 villages.

I would suggest that you hire a car in Dijon and drive to Beaune via some of the smartest wine growing villages in the world. There are however places to taste wine all over Burgundy most in small villages.

Just a word of warning, wine tasting in Burgundy is very different than say Napa Valley or Marlborough. Vineyards in general don't have large visitors centres, some are not open to the public at all. Once at a vineyard in Gevrey-Chambertin I was told that if I wanted to taste that was fine but I would be expected to pay for the bottle. The lady went on to explain that 99% of her wine was sold when it was still on the vine. This was not rude and she was more than happy to show us round but its just the way it is. Parts of Burgundy make some of the most expensive wine in the world. Other parts of Burgundy make much more standard wine. Most vineyards the offer tasting have little more than a small room that will be opened on request to let you taste. The person offering the tasting may not speak english, so a little french helps.

You also need to remember that in Burgundy everything other than major supermarkets and a few shops in Dijon close for lunch 12:30 to 2-2:30pm. Shops that open on a Saturday will close one day during the week. On Sunday other than a few towns that have markets everything is closed.

When I read this back it reads like I am saying don't visit. Thats not what I mean at all. Burgundy is great but nothing happens quickly and you really need to spend time there to get the most out of it. If you visit Dijon just for wine then you are going to be disappointed!

Alex

Toronto
Level Contributor
123 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day trip to include Dijon?

I am planning a 5/6 days in Paris and 5/6 days in Burgundy. I am thinking of making a small village my home base near Dijon. I would like to visit some wineries and experience good food in small villages. Can you recommend some must see villages, wineries and restaurants. I will rent a car from Dijon and tour around Burgundy. Leisurely drives etc.

6. Re: 10 day trip to include Dijon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Dijon