We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tour with Children

Which Beaune hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Wine tour with Children

We will be travelling from Paris to Nice in June with our children, ages 8 and 10 and would like to stop for a 2-day wine tasting in Burgundy. Are there tours that would allow us to bring our children along? Any places you would recommend for us to stay? Not many places seem to have room for 2 kids.

Thanks.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wine tour with Children

If the children and parents are athletic...what about renting bikes, riding them through the vineyards and stopping at a couple of little wineries? Being able to ride bikes for hours through French countryside might make up for a little boredom during the winery stops. (There are bike rentals in Beaune, and we really wanted to do this, but the weather in late October didn't allow it.)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wine tour with Children

The countryside around Beaune is *very* hilly, and I'm not sure an 8- and 10- year old would have the endurance to make it to a vineyard and back, as the vineyards are not close to town. (This might apply to the parents as well..)

Edited: 3:45 am, February 20, 2012
Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wine tour with Children

My suggestion would be to do a one day tour - privately if you can - and bring things for your children to do when they get bored. Bring their Nintendo DSs or the equivalent, bring paper and pencil crayons and stickers, books, etc.

Prepare them in advance that they may find the day really boring and you know that, but it's something you really want to do and is important to making your trip enjoyable.

Plan for that second day to be spent doing something they would like to do. Something that's important to making THEIR trip enjoyable. (And yes, a day at a water park or some such equivalent may not be your idea of fun in France, but neither was the wine tour theirs)

Tell them you expect them to do the first winery tour without fuss. They can learn some really interesting things and see some really cool stuff. After they've done the one, they can find a place and sit quietly, doing the activities you brought with you.

Make sure you get them lunch at a decent time and carry some snacks and water so they can don't get hungry.

Your children are old enough to deal with this well. And if you have a day of activities for them to look forward to, they should be willing to behave on your day.

DO NOT, however, get pulled into making ultimatums about that second day. If they're misbehaving, tell them if you get to three, they lose that day and you guys will be changing the plans. When they act up, say "that's one" and turn back to whatever you're doing. Don't be drawn into any arguments. And when you reach three - and hopefully you won't, that it's. You finish your day, enjoying it as much as you can, then express to your kids how disappointed you are in their behaviour, and you choose to do something else the next (not another wine tour, but something not as majorly kid-friendly).

We're lucky and my daughter actually loves these kinds of tours. This summer when we're in Beaune, the number one thing she wants to see is the mustard mill and we've done a full day of wineries in Ontario (Niagara Region) and she's been fine but we made a game out of it in terms of choosing prettiest bottle, funniest name, most expensive, oldest, etc.

Anyway. Good luck!

(oh and sorry for the parenting tips. you might already do this stuff. but nothing drives me crazy like seeing parents give ultimatums over and over and over again. or ones that are unrealistic i.e. if you don't stop that, we're going home. really? you're going to get in your car and drive home the six hours you came? if you (general you) don't mean it, don't say it.)

Edited: 10:01 am, February 20, 2012
Ho Chi Minh City...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Wine tour with Children

Hi there!

That is a great choice to go to Burgundy. I just in that trip and came back last Nov. That is an unforgetable memory. My friend was crazy over wine in that village. He bought 20 bottles at once. I am not sure if they allowed kid but they are farmer and very friendly. I think that would be fine.

For accommodation, I can suggest you try http://www.auberge-du-camp-romain.com/. Just 15 foot walk, there you are, in a wine shop. Excellent service, friendly people, cozy rooms.

Remember to ask the hotel pick you up, you can not find taxi in that area. In addition, from that village, if you drive 2 more hours, you will be in Geneva, Switzerland.

Have a nice trip

Beaune, France
Level Contributor
409 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wine tour with Children

Have to say jrbb0309, that is very good advice there and should be compulsory reading for anyone bringing their kids on a wine tour. We do a lot of tasting with our kids (have to really as it it my job but also living in France means we don't have a built in babysitter so our kids come with us everywhere) and it is tricky but if the kids know what to expect, it works out OK. The trick is not to expect too much - ie politeness and good behaviour goes without saying but provide the means for them to live up to those expectations.

16. Re: Wine tour with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 31, 2013