We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd question regarding Cassoulet

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Odd question regarding Cassoulet

Hello,

We are making our 3rd pilgrimage to France this June and will be in Beaune for 3 nights. Does anyone know of a restaurant that would serve Cassoulet with Sausage and Duck? (more of a Southwest France thing I know). I do know of a few places that offer it with Escargot, which I will definitely try. But I fell in love with the Duck/Sausage variety in Paris and Nice.

Willing to travel to a neighboring town for it too.

Thanks!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

It is unlikely that you will find Cassoulet in Burgundy. The place to go for that is Castelnaudary (in Languedoc) where the making of cassoulet is an art form. I have not found an equivalent in Paris (and I have tried several locations). I recommend this restaurant:

Le Tirou

http://www.letirou.com/

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

Thanks. I'm anxious to hear if anyone else knows of a place in Burgundy. I'd bet there is one somewhere.

Also Sarastro - I recommend Produits Du Sud Ouest next time you are in Paris and want Cassoulet.

cityvox.fr/restaurants_paris/…Profil-Lieu

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

No --the sure bet would be that there *isn't* a great cassoulet place in Burgundy. It's one of the quirks of France that regional food is regional, and really doesn't travel well at all.

burgundyeye.com/restaurants/…

is at least a moderate primer -- there's too much good food in Burgundy to spend much time looking for something that doesn't exist.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

" I'm anxious to hear if anyone else knows of a place in Burgundy. I'd bet there is one somewhere."

Sure there is one :

Le Petit Gascon - 100 rue Berbisey, Dijon.

If regional food was only served in the appropriate region, there would not be ratatouille or bouillabaisse on menus anywhere in France but Provence.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

Nobody said it wasn't served...only that "the best" (whatever that means) is not found outside the home region.

Victoria, Minnesota
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

Pvoyageuse - Thank you!

It seems I've started a bit of a debate :)

The best Cassoulet I ever had was in a Rugby Bar in Nice called L'Ovale. Granted I've never been to the Soutwest of France (yet).

I figured a city as large as Dijon had some sort of restaurant serving items from the Southwest.

7. Re: Odd question regarding Cassoulet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, March 16, 2013