We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in France - where to go?

Which Beaune hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vietnam
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling in France - where to go?

My husband and I are travelling to France mid June and we are keen on some cycling. We are definately keen to be independent - travelling at our own pace, eating where we want to eat, staying where we want to stay etc. Neither of us have travelled to France and we dont know where to start to work out what to do.

Our ideal would be 5-6 days cycling, through the vineyards and small towns, lots of wine tasting, picnics, combination of camping and staying in local inns.

What is our best option in terms of region - Loire, Provence, Alsace, Burgandy, Bordeaux, The Dordogne?

Are we best to avoid the south? Will it be too hot?

Where can we find good camping? Can you easily hire camping equipment?

If we do camp and don't want to take all our gear, where can we leave it.

Lots of questions, I know. But, as I say, just not sure where to start... Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jacqui

1. Re: Cycling in France - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:53 pm, November 08, 2015
Edited: 5:53 pm, November 08, 2015
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in France - where to go?

I'd head to Burgundy and/or the Rhône Valley.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in France - where to go?

The Loire valley as a region has probably done more to develop the infrastructure for the casual recreational cyclist than any other in France. There are dedicated cycle paths along much of the valley especially through the château country. There are a lot of small towns and villages along the river as well as along its tributaries such as the Indre and Cher. For the most part the terrain is fairly flat with very few steep hills. Most of the smaller towns and some of the villages have campgrounds ranging from the fairly simple and basic to some very highly developed places with all kinds of amenities.

And of course there is a château round just about every bend, as well as small wineries by the score. There's plenty of other stuff to see and do as well.

If that is the kind of cycling you are looking for I think the Loire would be ideal. OTOH if you are looking for something a bit more challenging I think I would give serious consideration to Alsace in the first instance.

4. Re: Cycling in France - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 27, 2012