We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Burgandy?

Which Beaune hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Burgandy?

My husband and I are planning a trip here for next May. We are thinking of flying into Paris, staying there a few days then taking the train to Beaune and spending 5-7 days exploring. We are looking to rent an apartment or house for that time and plan on renting a car. All the towns sounds amazing and I am having a hard time deciding which town in Burgundy. I was just thinking of renting a place in Beaune. Any thoughts anyone has on this would be much appreciated!

Edited: 10:08 pm, September 29, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

Oh so embarrassing I misspelled Burgundy in my original post and I couldn't edit the topic title. Sorry!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,134 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

I like to rent on the fringes of small villages -- it makes parking and driving around the countryside easier

We have stayed in Vezelay and in Semur-en-Auxois -- we stayed at a hotel in Beune for a couple nights -- but it is a fair size small city and not as convenient a base for doing driving day tours

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,420 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

If you can find a suitable rental on the outskirts of Beaune, that could be an excellent base for you.

We've enjoyed the villages for many years, but enjoy most being based in Beaune, a road back from the ring-road. That makes getting out and about from your garage/parking place easy, plus you have the pleasure of a 5 minute stroll into town. You then get to know it well, by just popping in to the market, to the little supermarket or maybe for an evening meal. There are tourists around at all times of the year, with good reason, but May should be good.

We still call in to Beaune several times each year, sometimes just for a coffee stop on our journey, sometimes to stay for a night or two. It's a lovely place in itself, and with the wine museum to visit and proximity to the vines, plus good guided tours, a super base in Burgundy.

Beaune
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

Without hesitation: Beaune area.

Beaune itself offers a lot of options. Nearby villages are others: Meursault, Savigny les Beaune, Ladoix, Puligny, St Romain, etc...

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

You didn't say much about your interests. But I would say that with a car all things are in reach and I would think more about what kind of place or budget you are concerned about. We recently stayed just outside of Beaune, loved it but it is noisier than some of the country places.

One thought. Do you enjoy your wine? Do you want to drive home after dinner (and wine)?

Edited: 2:53 pm, October 05, 2010
Paris, France
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

A great place is http://www.hotels-demeures-historiques.com/ these are located in Beaune, the center point in Burgundy. You can get anywhere and visit any sites you want without having to drive too much! This might interest you.

7. Re: Where to stay in Burgandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, May 26, 2011