We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long to drive from Beane to CDG

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
303 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
how long to drive from Beane to CDG

We just heard from our travel agent that our flight from CDG to Florence was cancelled, so we were given an earlier flight (we couldn't have picked a later one since we are renting a cottage in Tuscany, and have to get there before a certain time the day we land in Florence). We will be spending a week at a cottage in a little village outside Beaune, and then driving straight to CDG for our flight. Our flight is at 1:20pm on a Saturday. Anyone have recommendations of what time we should leave the Beaune area? I don't want to cut it close as I get nervous we'll miss the flight. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com but that site makes no allowances for comfort stops or possible traffic delays. Allow plenty of extra time. You will need to be at CDG by 11.20.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

Beaune to CDG should be a just under 4 hour drive. You didn't ask but I would go to Paris the night before the flight leaves because I would need to leave 8 hours before the flight's scheduled departure time in order to avoid feeling nervous during the drive. You can get driving directions, etc. on viiamichelin.com. Have a great trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

I am a firm believer in the be there the night before a high stakes flight -- I would take a flight a day later rather than an earlier flight. Who wants a jackknifed truck to cost them two walk up one way fares home? stuff happens and it really does often take 3 hours at CDG to make the plane. (in line, not rolling into the rental lot)

I also want a receipt showing the car is undamaged and gassed before I leave a rental return -- learned that the hard way when charged for a full tank when I returned it full -- there is no hurrying anyone at a car rental.

I would drive in the evening before the flight, get a hotel at the airport and then take the train into Paris for dinner

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

I'm assuming that you are doing at Sat-Sat rental near Beaune and another Sat-Sat in Tuscany, so you won't want to spend a night at CDG and then mope around there on Saturday morning waiting for your flight. With no holdups en route, 3.5 hour drive, .5 hour to hand the car back and get to the terminal, 2 hours before the flight, gives a total of 6 hours. If you are on the road by 7am and there are no issues you have plenty of time to spare. Leave by 6:30 to avoid any stress. Also, it's not like it's a flight to the US, so there are no immigration procedures. On my business trips flying Paris to Rome, I try to arrive 1 hour before the flight departs and I have never been held up. I guess the other thing to consider is how flexible your flight ticket is. If you miss the flight, do you just get on the next available, or do you forfeit your ticket?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

ahh as a domestic flight two hours is okay -- and if you miss the plane it is not the end of the world to book another flight with Easyjet or such.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

I assume you mean Beaune. With loads of experience under my belt, let me advise you never to drive or take a train to the airport on the day of a flight. Go the night before, turn in the car, take pictures and document anything you find that differs from the pickup details.Yes, loads of business travelers do this sort of travel on the day of flights, but it's really inadvisable IMO for tourists. I've had trains canceled, trains delayed, strikes...you name it. I realize it's not an overseas flight, but would you really want to deal with a flight you couldn't board for whatever reason?

Edited: 10:03 pm, February 20, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

the stakes are lower but StCirq has this exactly right of course -- stuff happens. so if you choose this sort of plan then you have to be prepared to buy a new flight and cope. if you do chance it then you should add at least an hour to whatever conservative time plan you have. everything takes longer than it does, especially when you don't know the rental, the airport, the highways etc. we once had trouble finding the rental return at CDG and it added about half an hour to our car return plans. we were not catching a flight so it was only mildly annoying.

Beaune, France
Level Contributor
441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

It also depends which Saturday you are travelling on.

I dropped clients at Orly airport last Saturday, Beaune to Orly exactly 3 hrs earlyish on a Saturday morning. For the return I left Orly at 1030 and arrived back in Beaune at 1715! Almost 7 hours with a stop of about 30 minutes and a major detour off the motorway as it was quicker than sitting in the traffic jams on the motorway. Last Saturday was the start of the winter school holidays for the Parisians so ensure your dates do not clash with anything.

Also bear in mind if you do not know your way around CDG, it is a huge airport and a nightmare to get around.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

I see no problem driving from Beaune to CDG for a 13h20 flight. It´s about a 3½ hour drive, I would allow 4 and depart Beaune around 7 as wigwam points out. As I have started for CDG from a similar location (albeit one a bit closer to the airport) on many, many trips. I might offer several pointers.

1. From A6, transition to A5 which can avoid a good amount of traffic.

2. From A5, transition to A104, the Francilienne. The route orbits around Paris to east. There is one difficult turn which is easy to miss and that is when A104 follows A4 for a few miles eastward before continuing north. You can see it on the map near Emerainville but if you just follow the signs to Disney while on A104, you will be fine.

3. Continue on A104, somewhere around Mitry-Mory there is a gas station along the Autoroute where you can top off your rental car. It´s easy off, easy back-on A104.

4. Exit A104 and take N2 to the north. Transition to D212 and enter into CDG from the back side. Follow the signs, all in English, to the rental car returns.

This route will save you a lot of time and can avoid a lot of traffic which can occur even on Saturdays. You will want to confirm the routing using your own maps before you actually drive it.

Edited: 7:51 am, February 21, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
303 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how long to drive from Beane to CDG

Thanks Sarastro! The specific road directions are very helpful! Can you tell me where the transition from the A6 to the A5 is? I think I've been able to figure out everything else by looking at a map. Thanks!