We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

We are planning a two weeks boat trip in Burgundy: Yonne (Migennes, Auxerre), Canal du Nivernais (Vermenton, Châtel-Censoir, Clamecy, Tannay, Corbigny, Baye, Decize) and Canal latéral à la Loire (Nevers, Argenvières, Sancerre, Châtillon-sur-Loire). Although we're tied to canals we will bring bicycles on boat so short trips of couple of kms from canals are something to think about. Also there is possibility to hire a taxi for longer distances. Kids are 7 and 11 and probably will have little patience for art museums and cathedrals. They probably would like medieval castles and caves - and of course any other "kids" activities like theme/water parks and so on..

The only thing I've managed to find so far along the route and which may be interesting for kids is Chantier Médieval de Guédelon which is a hour drive by taxi from Auxerre or half-hour from Neuvy-sur-Loire..

Oh, forgot to mention that we're planning the trip from Sep. 9th to Sep. 25th., so if anybody aware of festivals activities at those dates in this region - please share..

Edited: 2:20 am, October 27, 2012
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

Anybody ?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

Burgundy is very rural, it would not necessarily be high on my list of destinations specifically for elementary school aged children, particularly in September when French children of that age bracket have already returned to school.

Your kids will have a great time on the boat and you will probably find a few things along the way but outside of biking, I am not sure the choices will be limitless.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

tourisme-yonne.com/en/i-seek/thematique.php…

http://www.ot-auxerre.fr/en/index.php

That's just for starters -- google "tourism <place name>" and you'll get the office of tourism for that area -- without a doubt the best place to find out what's on when, including for kids.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

Highly recommend a day at Chantier Medieval de Guedelon. Perhaps rent a car for the day from Auxerre, as a taxi will be very expensive and the castle is deep in a forest, far from any town. It is not a difficult drive, but getting a taxi to come out there to pick you up might be a challenge.

Beaune, France
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

Agree with all the above posters, I live here with kids of 6 and 8 it is fairly limited for kids activities, especially once September kicks in as most kiddy things will revert to only being open on Wednesdays and weekends.

If the children like caves there are some great ones at Grottes d'Arcy in Arcy sur Cure. Also there is a great new museum at Alesia that may be interesting for kids though I haven't yet visited. Final suggestion try the Caves de Bailly for interesting cremant tasting in ancient caves - literally, not cellars.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

We took our family on a canal boat trip on the Canal Lateral a la Loire from Briare to Dompierre sur Besbre in July 2012. The youngest aboard was 12 and he was kept busy assisting lock keepers every hour or so. He also did a bit of bike riding on paths next to the lock, but not as much of this as I had envisaged, sometimes due to a lack of path or easy access from the boat.

Our most interesting stop (in terms of options of things to see) on that section was in Decize, where we moored next to the tourist info centre and town park. We also enjoyed our visit to the town of La Charite-sur-Loire (a book town). We didnt visit Nevers.

We saw the week as an opportunity to investigate small villages on the canal and explored little beyond 2-3 ks from the canal, which was sufficient to top up groceries and our daily bread. We did manage a trip up hill to a winery in Sancerre (no not right to the top).

Also its might be worth mentioning that we had to cover quite a number of kilometres each day, and this limited the opportunity to explore too far. It seems from your itinerary that you are also covering a lot of territory in 2 weeks of 'slow' travelling, so I recommend you take that into account when planning your trip. Happy boating.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

Many thanks to all participants, it gave me some ideas to pursue.

8. Re: Where to go on boat trip with kids in Burgundy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 11, 2014