We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or train - Burgundy to Switzerland

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or train – Burgundy to Switzerland

We will have a rental car for a few days in France, ending in Beaune. From there we are headed to Switzerland, Berner Oberland, where we will not need a car and will have a rail pass with a free trip from the border to our destination. I was planning on dropping the car in Beaune. But then I wondered if we should drive to Basel, Switzerland, and drop there car there. There is a drop point right across from the train station. The cost of the train for 2 adults plus 1 child seems to be $215 and 2.5hrs with transfers. To drive it takes 2.5hrs. I think the cost of rental, gas and tolls will be cheaper. But the car is no faster, and with the train I know we will get there on time. We have never driven in Europe and I’m nervous about it! What would you suggest?

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive or train – Burgundy to Switzerland

Have not booked this yet. When I check ViaMichelin, it shows Beaune to Basel as costing 75€ and taking 02h38min. ViaMichelin also shows Beaune all the way to Interlaken as 72€ (cheaper than driving to Basel!) and 04h05min (different route, not through Basel but curving under a lake, near Lausanne). If we did the 70€ TGV from Beaune, the journey just to Interlaken would be 6hrs by train - 2 hours longer than driving. The 148€ TGV would be 1 hour shorter, 5hrs to Interlaken. Maybe driving is a better choice after all? But I have to call AutoEurope for the cost of dropping the car in Interlaken - might not be worth it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive or train – Burgundy to Switzerland

Just to update, dropping the car in Basel was 50€ and dropping in Interlaken was €100. So we decided to just simplify things and leave the car in Beaune. It will be a long day on the train, but we will get a break in Basel to buy a picnic lunch and we will be relaxing/hiking in the Alps for 4 nights after this so I think our daughter will be fine. She would be happy to read for 6 hrs anyway. :)

13. Re: Drive or train – Burgundy to Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, June 21, 2013