We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherbourg to St Malo

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cherbourg to St Malo

Hello,

I am planning to go fro Rosslare to Cherbourg by ferry then onto St Malo. Can you please advise how I may get there? I dont think there is a direct train (it would go via Paris which is too long).

Is there a bus or can I get a lift in a car? I searched on blablacar.com but could not find. I am intending on arriving in Cherbourg on April 17 (not booked at this stage). I also want to visit Mont Saint Michel which might be on the way from Cherbourg is that right? or can I easily visit from St Malo?

Also, is there any other place in Brittany which you would suggest to visit for one or two days? I like architecture and culture. A small place would be preferred to experience a very French culture.

I look forward to your response.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Mont-Saint-Michel
Mont-Saint-Michel
Manche, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

I think you need a rental car for what you have in mind.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

I think a rental car would be your easiest option, public transport is not great in this region. It is quite a drive from Cherbourg to St-Malo. I'd recommend Dinan as another place to visit, the architecture is lovely there.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Dinan
Dinan
Cotes-d'Armor, France
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

Sounds like it will exceed my budget.

I then plan to go to Tours instead. There is a train fro Caen to Tours on April 9th at 16:34 which suits me. But the train to Caen from Cherbourg takes more than one hour. I arrive in Cherbourg at 15:30 and I recall it takes at about 45mins to one hour to walk to the train station.

I think I am going to need to stay somewhere for one night before I reach Tours. Where can you recommend?

Also I cant understand how to use this website about buses: www.itransports.fr/fr/reseau/departement

I would like to take a bus from Cherbourg to Caen or Le Mans (or alternative place where I will stay the night) if it is cheaper than train.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Le Mans
Le Mans
Sarthe, France
Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

Is it cheaper to take the 2 trains rather than hire a car for a couple of days. Is the drive a long one? Well it's 2-2.5 hours drive, I'm going to guess your walk then train then train ain't gonna be much quicker. Also if you take the old road used before they built the Caen to Le Havre motorway you'll see a good amount of countryside and drive through rural villages. It's only 10 minutes longer, much nicer drive and will cost you less in petrol.

I'd really suggest going to St Malo if you can. You are also right that Mont St Michel is right along the route, well slight detour technically according to road signs.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Le Havre
Le Havre
Seine-Maritime, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

Can you recommend websites for car hire and I will search prices.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

AutoEurope.

Seriously, you have picked a LOT of places that are really difficult to travel among on public transport. You really will either need to rent a car or completely revise your wish list of places to visit. France, though it has excellent train service, isn't set up to get tourists around by bus. Buses are primarily for workers and schoolchildren.

There are myriad places in Brittany that are worth a visit: Vannes, Quimper, Lorient, St-Brieuc...it's all lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
France
France
Europe
Vannes
Vannes
Morbihan, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
Lorient
Lorient
Morbihan, France
Saint-Brieuc
Saint-Brieuc
Cotes-d'Armor, France
Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

If you are picking up at Cherbourg ferry terminal and dropping off at St Malo ferry terminal cost £194 or if taking car back to Cherbourg ferry £125. These prices are with Europcar based on 3 days Monday 2nd June collection. Of course don't know how many days you are thinking and where you are going after the St Malo trip.

Personally I love the area around St Malo but I do have a family connection, my wife comes from a village about 20 mins outside St Malo and her parents still live there, so we get to go there 2 or 3 times a year.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
8. Re: Cherbourg to St Malo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 25, 2015