We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to St Malo from Orly airport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train to St Malo from Orly airport

Hi, hoping someone can help with advice on trains from Orly airport to St Malo on Monday 15 July. It looks like I will need to get transport from Orly to Montparnasse first.

I'm a little reluctant to book a train seat ahead of time because I don't know how long it will take to clear customs and get to Montparnasse (likely to ready around 1pm). However, I'm conscious it's peak vacation time then so would like advice on whether seats are likely to be booked out if I show up to purchase one.

Is it the TGV I would get from Montparnasse? I'm a little clueless with the train arrangements in Europe so any advice/suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orly
Orly
Val-de-Marne, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,096 Reviews
Paris, France
Europe
Europe
World
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to St Malo from Orly airport

There are no proper trains to Orly airport. You take the little OrlyVal shuttle train to Antony station, then RER Line B towards Paris. Get off at Denfert Rochereau and change to Metro Line 6 towards Charles de Gaulle Etoile, getting off at Montparnasse Bienvenue. You can buy one ticket to take you all the way from Orly.

For most journeys, you would take a TGV from Montparnasse to Rennes, and change there to a local (TER) train to St Malo. There are a few journeys all the way by TGV without a change.

Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheap tickets sell out quickly. Buy buying now for 15 July, you would not save more than €10.

July is not a peak period on the trains. The great majority of train travellers are ordinary French people going about their lives, and tourists are an almost insignificant proportion on most routes. The peak period is August, when the French take their holidays.

I have just checked, and every train leaving tomorrow has seats available. I don't think you will be stranded in two weeks' time.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,096 Reviews
Paris, France
Orly
Orly
Val-de-Marne, France
Rennes
Rennes
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to St Malo from Orly airport

Thank you very much for the reply; all the info I needed. Letitia

3. Re: Train to St Malo from Orly airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 03, 2014