We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else to visit..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where else to visit..

Besides st malo,dinan,dinard and Msm,is there other town that we can drive to visit from St Malo which is our base.. Thanks

Finland
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else to visit..

Yes there are a number of nice places to visit.

Cancale - capitale des huitres, drive by the scenic seaside road

Dol de Bretagne - a big and famous cathedral

Fougeres - a notable medieval stronghold

Rennes - the capital of the department, lively old town with shops and restaurants, Galeries Lafayette etc.

Further west along the coast there are many nice places like Paimpol, Treguier, Perros-Guirec, Trebeurden etc. as well as beautiful sites such as Ile de Brehat, Sillon de Talbert etc.

In summer, it appears Brittany is at its best as of mid July until late August. In June, the sea water is still cold and the weather is often variable

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else to visit..

I wrote a report about spending 5 days near Saint-Malo and Dinan exploring those towns and the surrounding region by car. It has lots of photos and descriptions of the places I visited and you might get some good ideas about other places to visit in that region. Here is the link to my report:

http://tinyurl.com/82azcyh

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else to visit..

As mentioned Cancale is nice and if you enjoy dramatic coastline head for Cap Frehel. Saint-Cast Le Guildo is lovely, too.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else to visit..

Thank you for all your suggestions. Will certainly include them in my itinery.You all have been so helpful.appreciate them!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else to visit..

You're welcome - hope you have a fantastic time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else to visit..

Please advise if my family should stay in Rennes for a night after arriving from CDG , after a 13 hour flight and then drive down to St Malo for a 2 night stay the next day. Originally, my plan was to drive to st malo after arriving in rennes on tgv at noon but considering the long flight that we just had,this might not be a good idea. What do you think.? Then we could explore Rennes instead before leaving for st malo. Thanks in advance!

Finland
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else to visit..

Rennes has a nice old town, some parks, waterways etc. an absolutely OK town to spend some time at. It is highly recommended to limit the efforts after a long flight: not safe to drive.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where else to visit..

Thanks for your advice,Finland Timo.Have taken your advice and wil be staying in Rennes for a night before moving off.

9. Re: Where else to visit..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 18, 2013