We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

Which Saint-Malo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

Is it warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St. Malo (and surrounding area) in late August?

Thanks.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

The weather is changeable in Northern France, as it is in Southern England, at this time of year.

When we were in Brittany last August it was warm enough to swim in the sea on two days of a nine day holiday.

Essentially, it *should* be but it can be variable...

Essex
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

Hi,

There are various web sites you can explore for this information rather than take it from someone who had a one off experience.

For example: worldtravelguide.net/beach_resort/…

IMHO You would do better to explore the south coast of Brittany and do your own web research.

Enjoy your stay.

Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

HarryLimers: I actually have tried to find an answer for my question by doing "web research" for about a week.

IMHO, you shouldn't make an assumption based on poster's question. Also, that website that you posted quotes an average temperature that another website contradicts (a weather page for St. Malo).

I'm a frequent TripAdvisors poster and I would only ask a question that I couldn't find an answer to for some time. So IMHO, please save your criticism for other more deserving posters.

Essex
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

Well Westies121,

Someone certainly got your goat up.

My input was not not intended to criticise, other than to point out that the one off reply you had received was a one off experience.

Next time I see a query from you I'll do my best to avoid helping you. Clearly you know everything but know nothing if you have been searching the web for a week and found little info.

As a seasoned traveller - not posted here before - I was purely intending to point out that there was a lot of info out there in the ether that would be useful.

I've actually stayed in Brittany and that is why I recommended the south coast.

As a goodwill gesture I provide a further link:

www.brittanyfamilygite.com/weather.html

Bon Voyage

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

HarryLimers, whether or not you intended it, your tone comes across a little strangely...

'other than to point out that the one off reply you had received was a one off experience.'

Actually, I said the weather could be variable, which is presumably what your web suggestion would have said as well as it is true. Surely people ask questions on forums because they want personal experience?

I also have stayed in Brittany on a couple of occasions but used that example as it tied in with the time of year westies121 was asking about.

Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

HarryLimers, I'll ignore your remarks about my intelligence and just point out that the first website contradicts the second with regards to average temperatures between May-Sept. First one says May-Sept is 23; average of same months in other link is about 21. My point is that the websites I researched contradict one another with regard to temperature. In any case, air temperature does not equal water temperature--so even on the sites that quoted similar average temps, there were varying opinions about whether St. Malo was swimmable or not.

Thanks for your input, Riotstar. A personal experience was what I was looking for, as I think you really only know if you can swim a place if someone else has been able to.

I realize I should have provided more context to my first post, but frankly, it's a little disheartening to see a relatively innocuous post jumped on on the usually so friendly TA boards.

Interpreting other posters's posts generously is really a must on a forum like this one. My apologies to you, HarryLimers, if my second post seemed to lack gratitude for your advice, but I did feel that you were criticizing my first post needlessly.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

Hi

I too have stayed in this area a number of times (I feel I need to justify my experience in light of a previous respondent!) and have found the weather and sea temperature to be variable.

It also depends on how "robust" you may be - my children have happily jumped in the sea where I have found it uncomfortable.

The beach areas should be delightful even if it isn't hot so all you need to do is hope it doesn't rain and enjoy your holiday. If it isn't hot enough for the beach then there are lots of other activities.

w.mids
Level Contributor
412 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

agree with the last post ; pack your swimsuits and your raincoats!I'll be i Brittany at the same time so let's keep our fingers crossed .I've definitely swam in the south of Brittany at that time of the year and I'm a bit of a wimp.

Even if you don't get swimming weather, St. Malo is lovely and it's definitely worth it to take a trip to Mont St. Michel.

9. Re: Warm enough to swim/enjoy the beach in St Malo in lateAug.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 05, 2010