We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rennes for a week?

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Rennes for a week?

Hi

I am still struggling to decide where to go next summer. We are a family of three. My daughter will be 15 next year. For the last few years we have visited Spanish cities; Santiago de Compostella; Girona and Madrid. We loved our trips, particularly the food and buzz in the evenings. However, we thought we should try France again. We have had successful holidays in Paris, Toulouse and Albi and I was wondering if Rennes would be fun. Any advice?

Thanks

Mick

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rennes for a week?

Do you want to visit only Rennes or the area around Rennes as well ?

I personnaly don't think there is that much to see in Rennes. Half a day to a day ok. And also I found it quite a head ache to get in and out of the city last time I was there in 2012. That would not be my first choice.

What are you looking for to do and visit ? What is of interest to you ?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rennes for a week?

I would give Rennes a bit more than a day, perhaps a weeend. In that general area, Nantes might be a better bet for a week. It seems livelier with quite a range of somewhat quirky events and activities. You could easilly visit Rennes from there for a day.

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rennes for a week?

Hello

Thanks to both of you. I should have said we wont have a car either. We like relaxing sight seeing and the females like shopping.

The evening meal is the highlight of the day for us.

MICK

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rennes for a week?

Then in the area I would definitely go to Nantes.

The city is well served by public transportation. You have much more things to do and see and more shopping options.

Beside the lovely historic center and the Château of the Duke of Brittany. You also have the Machines de l'ile, a cruise on the Erdre River, crossing to Trentemoulte and have lunch along the Loire River. There is also now the possibility to go as far as Clisson using the "Tram-train" wich is a nice little town 35km south of Nantes.

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rennes for a week?

Thanks. That is food for thought. What made Rennes appealing was the price of a direct flight fro Dublin. It was very reasonable. Nantes is a bit more expensive.

Thanks again

Mick

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rennes for a week?

Rennes is big enough, and has enough choice of restaurants, to easily satisfy your evening meal needs for a week. However, I think after 2/3 days you'd want to start exploring outside, making all-day trips via train to St Malo, Quimper, Brest, Nantes, etc.

7. Re: Rennes for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 01, 2014