We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinard/St malo

Which Dinard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
318 reviews
Save Topic
Dinard/St malo

Can anybody give me any thoughts on having a second home in Dinard or St Malo.

Levels of activity....sleepy..buzzing etc.

Acceptance of English/American semi residents

Conveniences for public transport.

Ease of travel from East midlands.

Cost of living

Any other background info.

Thx

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinard/St malo

1. between the 2 - busier in summer for obvious reasons;

2. never seen any crowds with pitchforks and French people are usually fairly welcoming of foreigners if they are friendly themselves; plus these are fairly large towns, so used to "strangers" coming to live;

3. well, there are local bus services, and a train station in St.Malo - not sure exactly what you are after;

4. there's an airport near Dinard - I suggest that you look for flights from East Midlands; otherwise you're looking at a long ferry crossing from Posrtsmouth or a long drive from Calais, so it won't be a weekend destination unless you can fly

5. Similar to here - food is a bit cheaper, especially if you shop in markets; eating out is more expensive; other stuff like getting a car serviced is much cheaper.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinard/St malo

Thanks very much for your post....sounds like a good place....the question about public transport was because the wife doesn't drive, but if local bus services are ok then that should work.

You sound as if you really like the place os thats good news.

Thanks again

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinard/St malo

I think that Thiaumerie, one of the region's Destination Experts and owner of a bed and breakfast in St. Malo, is English:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g660467-d595935…

If she doesn't join in, you might want to send her a private message.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinard/St malo

Levels of activity....sleepy..buzzing etc:

Both are busy, touristy towns, particularly in the summer months but throughout the year. I have personally found Dinan to be the busier of the two, but I gather St-Malo is worse in the summer.

Acceptance of English/American semi residents:

No issue, as with elsewhere in France the ex-pats I have spoken to have been welcomed and are happy in their choice.

Conveniences for public transport:

Fine, both have plenty of buses.

Ease of travel from East midlands: I believe Ryanair fly from East Midlands to Dinard? There are regular ferries from Portsmouth, Poole and Weymouth, too.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinard/St malo

P.S. Troggs, I don't think there are any DEs on the Brittany forums? Definitely none on the St-Malo of Dinan boards, anyhoo.

Edited: 6:57 am, October 02, 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinard/St malo

Riostar, Thiaumerie is listed as a DE for Bayeux, probably the most common search for the region, but as you can see from the link, her bed and breakfast is listed in St. Malo. Surely, you've see her posts, and I would think she could be helpful to meimoff with her question. I called her one of "region's DE's" as she contributes frequently on a number of region's forums.

I've PM'd her to with a link to this topic that she may not have seen. Perhaps she will have more to contribute.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinard/St malo

Ah, that's why I have never seen the person in question as Bayeux is not part of Brittany, but Normandy.

RioTstar

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinard/St malo

Sorry to contradict you Troggs but we are actually in St Louet sur Vire which is close to Saint Lo, not St Malo. However, St Malo is only just over an hour from here and one of favourite places to go when we have a free day.

St Malo is always very buzzy all year round but busier in the summer - in fact sometimes a bit too busy. Public transport, outside of the main towns, like everywhere else in France is pretty poor. Ryanair fly from Stanstead and East Midlands airports to Dinard (only 10 minutes from St Malo) once a day year round.

I have to contradict PoolLounger's view that car servicing and food are cheaper. Car servicing has always been expensive here and food may have been cheaper a few years ago but now just about everything in France is more expensive than the UK (apart from petrol, diesel, some wines and houses). Markets, although the quality of food is far superior to the UK, are quite an expensive way to shop. Last weekend I bought 3 small pots of olives, 4 quail, a kilo of tomatoes and a couple of courgettes and the bill came to 32 euros (around £30) and I don't think that is too cheap! A cooked chicken was 18 euros.

St Malo is a more expensive pocket within Brittany for houses but to my mind worth it, it's a lovely town with a beautiful coastline.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinard/St malo

Thiaumerie, you're living in the wrong part of France ;-) I was basing on my comments on Savoie, where my other half is from, where my FiL seems to get his trusty Citroen attended to for less than 100euros per annum, whereas an annual service for my Volvo in the UK never comes in at less than £400, even though they only seem to change the oil and wash it. Markets in Savoie (outside the big towns and ski resorts) tend to be producer markets so do work out a little cheaper than supermarkets for the same quality. I did consult the International Quail Price Index, however, and was shocked to see that a brace of quail from Waitrose costs less than £5. I see a new import business beckoning for you ;-)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinard/St malo

Oops!

Get answers to your questions about Dinard