We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

Hello. We are looking to hire a car from clermont and spend 6 nights, maybe 1-2 nights in a few different locations. We enjoy rural beauty with hikes, bikes, kayaking, pretty villages and good food. Any tips from people who've visited the area would be most appreciated. Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

I am really only familiar with the area south of C-F, but I loved Mont Dore (great thermal baths), St-Saturnin (one of the plus beaux villages de France), La Tour d'Avergne, and the Parc des Volcans d'Auvergne (moonscape). If I had my super-detailed map of the Auvergne, I'd be able to recall even more places, but it's on the other side of the ocean. It's quite a rugged, beautiful area, though, and you won't have any problems with good food and outdoor activities.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

Dang!!

2 posts the same!

Confusion guaranteed!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187092-i4483-k6…

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

We spent a week near Brioude last year and really enjoyed it. There are several Plus Beaux Villages in this area.- Blesle. Lavaudieu, Montpeyroux, St Floret. At the latter, drive up to the chapel which overlooks the village for a wonderful view, and also a wander in the interesting cemetery. La Chaise Dieu is a nice drive up through the Livradois Forest. We were there in April when there was an unseasonal snow fall. The drive along the Gorges of the Allier is good too. Several interesting and attractive villages.

If you have the patience to read through the following trip report, the relevant week is the fourth week

fodors.com/community/europe/our-own-country-…

www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en

http://www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/index.htm

http://www.france-voyage.com/en/

Some useful sites to use.

good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

Hi folks thanks very much for taking the time to write back. Some great tips, we just booked 3 nights in millau area, so will pass through rodez. Then heading back up north and staying just outside Issoire. Sorry for doing a double posting, am new to all this!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

If I can piggy back on this forum, we're starting a lazy balade in Lyon and then driving towards Sarlat in late April. But we can pretty much go anywhere. We've visited France many times but not the Auvergne. We'd like to spend two nights exploring the area around Clermont Ferrand (but not stay in Clermont Ferrand). We'd appreciate any suggestions. We're not hikers, mountain climbers, kayakers, etc. We like exploring villages, walking, scenic drives at a leisurely pace. We both speak French so we don't need much help on the ground, but it would be great to be sent off in the right directions.

Thanks!

7. Re: Driving from clermont ferrand to puy-en-velay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, January 06, 2015