We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel

Which Pau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel

My companion and I will be spending a week in Pau - May 16 to May 23 - and we would like to visit Niort while we are there. Please advise about transport. We do not wish to drive. Thank you.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel

By train that would take anywhere from 8 to 21 hours and involve at least 2 and up to 4 changes of train. And it will be expensive, as the cheap tickets sold out 2 months ago. They will get more expensive as every day passes between now and your travel date, if you are indeed going to travel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,756 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel

I just checked www.voyages-sncf.com for May 18th and am seeing trips with 2 connections taking 5-6 hours. That's still a long ride and one I wouldn't want to take unless I was staying several days in my destination.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,002 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel

I agree. Niort is a very nice place but it is 250 miles from Pau. A day trip by train is impossible.

If you can figure an overnight stop in Niort., then yes it is a minimum 6 hour journey via Bordeaux, changing there and also at Saintes. Trains are very rare creatures on these lines compared with UK levels of service, ie they run about once every two hours and sometimes you have 45 - 60 minutes wait between trains when changing.

Reservations are essential for travel by most trains, so book up early for the cheapest fares.

Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel

Many thanks. Another time perhaps!

Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel

Many thanks. Another time perhaps!

Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel

Many thanks. Another time perhaps and with more forward planning.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,002 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel

If you want a nice day out from Pau, take the little train to Oloron Ste Marie then the bus to Canfranc. Canfranc is just over the border in Spain. The bus thinks it's a train, so you can buy one ticket all the way through at Pau station.

It's a nice ride into the mountains.

No reservations or anything. Check times at www.capitainetrain.com or voyages-sncf.com by all means. Wait for a nice day though! I was lucky last August as it was just starting to rain in France but across the mountains it was really nice all day.

8. Re: Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, November 02, 2015