We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to base

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
41 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
where to base

Flying in to Bergerac and would like three different areas to stay want the first one fairly near to Bergerac as arriving late. Any advice would be much appreciated . Will be looking at gites. Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to base

How much time do you have for this trip?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
41 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to base

Three weeks . Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to base

Assuming those three weeks encompass three Saturday-to-Saturday periods (because that's the typical gîte/rental period), I would actually do only two rentals. It's only an hour from Bergerac to Sarlat, which is the general area you'll want to spend most of your time in, but if you don't have an hour to get somewhere the night you arrive, I'd just head to Beaumont-du-Périgord or Le Bugue and spend the night there, then move on the the first rental the next day. For the first rental, which as suggested, I would do for 2 weeks, pick someplace north, west, or south of Sarlat, say within 30 kms of it. For the last week you might want to relocate to someplace like Gramat, which is halfway between Rocamadour and Figeac. (none of them actually in the Dordogne, though).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
459 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to base

Three weeks is a decent chunk of time, but the Dordogne is also a big region. So I would suggest getting your hands on some guide books, and checking several tourism websites so you can start to narrow your search down. We all have our personal faves, but this itinerary really needs to respond to the things you like to do. It will also depend on what pace of holiday you like to set for yourself. The other great thing about the Dordogne is that the architecture and local customs of many of the villages haven't changed much in years, so immersing yourself in their particular rhythms is one of the great pleasures of this region. Three weeks gives you time to do that. The area StCirq alludes to is generally known as Perigord Noir and is the most famous, therefore the most touristed. It is definitely worth basing yourself in that pocket for some time, as there is so much to explore. But you may also want to look at spending some time in the north western quadrant, the area around Brantome, known as Perigord Vert. From there you can visit chateaux like Bourdeilles & Hautfort or or a daytrip into Perigueux etc. You could also look at heading to the most southeastern corner of the Dordogne, basing in Monpazier for example, which is in the Perigord Pourpre (but still only 30 minutes drive south of the Dordogne River and 40 mins drive to Bergerac airport), so you can see local sights and use that as a jumping-off point to dip into the Lot as well (eg Cahors, Puy Leveque, Penne D'Argenais etc). As you can see from this brief outline, three weeks gives you the chance to see a lot of the Dordogne and experience the different, distinct appeal and pace of each area within the departement. I presume you're hiring a car at Bergerac airport, so you will certainly be able to get around and see plenty.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to base

You have had good advice but I suggest you research quite closely. You might consider the Aveyron area south of the Dordogne as part to your trip. This would involve places like Bruniquel, Penne, St Antonin Noble Val, Najac.

18 months ago we did this trip from Beziers to and from the Dordogne - Dordogne trip (6days, 5 nights) Lautrec, Castelnau de Montmiral, Bruniquel, Penne, St Antonin Noble Val, Najac, Figeac, L’Hospitalet, Rocamadour, Martel, Carrenac, Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, St Céré, St Circ de Lapopie, Cahors, Puy L’Eveque, Sarlat, Domme, La Roque de Gageac, Beynac, Monpazier, Grotte de Lascaux II, Montignac, Le Thot, St Leon de Vezere, La Couvertoirade.

We stayed in Figeac for 2 nights and 3 nights in Sarlat

Saralt and Bergerac are far enough apart that it would be a good idea to stay a week near each. The other choice is either near Brantome or Figeac (very handy for the east Dordogne), or Villefranche de Rouergue (which is a fabulous little town) and closer to the Aveyron, and you can always go down from there to Albi and Cordes sur Ciel for the day.

This may give you some ideas

Enjoy

Edited: 10:24 am, April 02, 2014
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to base

Wonderful advice above, but I think a week near Bergerac would be a bore compared to the areas described in the Périgord Noir and near Figeac. Every time I drive past Bergerac and start to get into the Périgord Noir I breathe a sigh of relief as the landscape just gets so immeasurably beautiful.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to base

I too would not recommend staying in Bergerac after your arrival as the immediate countryside lacks variety.

But a short distance South of Bergerac the countryside changes and becomes undulating and very pleasing with fields, woods and vineyards interspersed with scenic little churches, farmhouses and villages.

Just some 15kms or so from Bergerac airport is the beautiful medieval village of Issigeac with narrow streets and alleyways, and characterful old houses. Also not far is the bastide village of Eymet with arcaded square and ruins of an old castle. Either could make a good base for your first week after arrival.

You could visit many other ancient small towns and villages in the area: Villereal (magnificent covered 'halle' and double-towered church); Castillones (some crazy old buildings in the square, and birthplace of the inventor of the Tour de France); Monpazier (a beautiful bastide, already mentioned); Duras (splendid chateau and great views); Allemans-du-Dropt (set in the pretty Dropt valley and with a Romanesque church with beautiful frescoes); Lauzun (chateau); and lots of others.

8. Re: where to base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2015