We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Sept/Oct

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Sept/Oct

We are thinking about visiting the Dordogne next year probably at the end of September beginning of October, is this a good time to go?, not sure what the weather would be like then having never been before. We would want to explore the villages and towns so don't want it too hot but ideally we would still like a villa with a pool, would the pool need to be heated at that time of year? Any suggestions on which areas to stay or villa operators etc would be welcomed.

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

Well you can look at the weather right now at

http://meteo.france3.fr/

30C and cloudy in Bordeaux which is rather warm for the time of year.

Historic weather records are easy to find at www.wunderground.com use Bergerac as the town.

Current forecast for Bergerac, which looks pretty typical to me

Tomorrow (Saturday)

Thunderstorm 24 | 14 °C

T-storms

70% chance of precipitation

Sunday

Chance of a Thunderstorm 22 | 12 °C

Chance of T-storms

40% chance of precipitation

It can be wet around there at any time. Early August 2012 for example was pretty horrible.

It's not a bad time of year to go as there won't be hordes of tourists to battle through but you will need plans for a rainy day or six.

Edited: 4:32 am, September 27, 2013
Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

I think that the pool needs to be heated at that time of the year. But it is probably one of the best times to visit Dordogne because the influx of tourist has receded and the weather can be very mild - not hot though!

Carla

southweststory.com/dordogne-valley-castles-t…

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

We visited in September/October in 2011 and the weather was glorious with day time temperatures in the mid 70's. The early mornings were a little bit misty but once the sun broke through, it was hot enough to walk around in short sleeves. After a day out, we were glad to get back to our gite for a swim around 6pm in an unheated pool. We only needed a jacket for the evenings. We stayed in Montignac and travelled to Rocamadour, Gouffre de Padirac, Domme, Beynac, etc. etc. We didn't experience any rain during the whole time we were there.

Having said that, the weather will be what the weather will be.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

I was in the Dordogne for 3 weeks last September and it was hot as blazes most days. Glorious weather, no rain at all, but yes, HOT! My pool wasn't up and running, but we did go swimming in the municipal pool in Le Bugue, which is not heated. But I've also been in September when it was cool and rainy, and most years I won't swim in an unheated pool after about mid-September. Anyway, no guarantees of weather anytime, anywhere.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

As PP have said, its hard to predict weather from one year to the next however, for what it's worth, we were in the Dordogne for the first week of October this year and the weather was very mild and really not hot enough to tempt swimming. We had some rain overnight on several nights and some misty, foggy mornings which were very beautiful and atmospheric but far too cool for swimming outdoors.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like we will be there for the last week in September and first week in October so will need to find a cottage with a heated pool, any suggestions? we would like to base ourselves in the Sarlat/Beynac area if possible. If the weather is cool, would it still be possible to canoe down the river? Otherwise will have to think about going earlier in September 2015 rather than next year.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

I don't know anyone who heats their pool that time of year, so can't help you there, but yes, of course you can canoe down the river. Canoe/kayak outfitters normally close shop mid- to end of October.

Edited: 12:36 pm, November 07, 2013
8. Re: Weather in Sept/Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 09, 2014