We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

South West England...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

Driving down from Caen in a day - have been advised to go via Angouleme - Perigeaux.

It looks reasonable route on viamichelin but wondered whether Perigeaux was a bottleneck or does it have a peripherique ? Either going down Saturday Mid-August or back on the last Sat of August. Bad days to travel I know ;(

Having looked at my trusty michelin maps and played on googlemaps it seems that I can come down into Perigeaux on the D939 and head west towards the N2089 and then circle around to the E70 thus avoiding Perigeaux.

Are my fears about Perigeaux being a bottleneck unfounded ? Is it worth trying to dodge around or will everybody else be doing the same ?

Just a car - no caravan. But three tired kids and no desire to sit stationary in a traffic jam.

If you have a better route from Caen would be happy to hear. Dont mind tolls.

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,909 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

Look more carefully at your map. Périgueux does not have a péripherique.

Driving anywhere around there on a Saturday in August is going to be fraught.

My trip planner tells me to go through Périgueux. Any other route is going to add many miles and I doubt you would be any better off.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

Your planned route is the most direct.

Perigueux is indeed a bit of a bottleneck. Last time we did this route was in early June 2012. Lots of stops and starts in and close to Perigueux but not difficult, just rather tiresome. Also, the N10 from Poitiers to Angouleme is IMO not very nice. Ok, it's dual-carriageway but the driving is very competitive with lots of lorries, the countryside a bit boring, and service areas are few and far between.

You could instead travel the long route via the A10 from Poitiers and then take the A89 eastwards just short of Bordeaux. It'll mean extra costs for tolls and fuel and is unlikely to save you time, but it's quite a nice stretch of motorway - as motorways go - and there are some good and frequent rest areas ('aires') which should be welcome, especially for the children. You could still hit slow traffic though, especially as you approach Bordeaux.

We have travelled by car to the Dordogne and other parts of South West France very often, and now always stay overnight somewhere near Tours or Poitiers or Limoges when travelling down. I would recommend you do this too, but I appreciate this may not be possible for you. Hope this still helps.

Edited: 6:22 pm, May 09, 2013
3. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:12 pm, May 09, 2013
Edited: 7:12 pm, May 09, 2013
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

cubsur and I agree, I think. Just brave it and drive through Perigueux which is the most direct route. Although the traffic through it is slow, the country roads before and after are actually rather nice.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

It's Périgueux, not Périgeaux, and yes, it's a huge pain and you will get bottlenecked, but I don't see that you have a choice. There are a million roundabouts, so be prepared for those as well as commercial zone/industrial backup s and lots of ugly outer-zone city perimeter places.

That's a heckuva drive from Caen in one day - you sure you want to do that? Do-able, or course, but there ARE trains!

South West England...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

Thank you all for your comments and observations. Sorry for getting my spelling wrong !

I appreciate that it would be ideal - especially given the Saturday in August timeframe - to stop overnight halfway down - but unfortunately we cannot afford the time to do that - as our journey is already two full days travel.

We are driving down 5 hours to Portsmouth - then a 3 hour ferry - then an hour plus to Caen on the Friday evening - thanks to Brittany Ferries changing the times of their fast sailings from morning to evening.

The next day has to be an all-in-one stint.

The reverse journey is the same with an overnight in Caen and the long ferry back from Caen.

Thanks for your comments with regard to Périgueux - perhaps it will be best to just stick with it.

Are there Bison Futé routes / advisements on this route ?

Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

Looks like you already know the bison-fute website. It has a partial English version, but seemingly the live traffic information and planned roadworks sections are only in French:

…gouv.fr/diri/listeflashs.do…

But since you will be driving that route anyway, I suggest you just go with the flow and treat any traffic delays philosophically - que sera sera ...

Hope any delays aren't too bad, and have a safe journey and a great holiday!

8. Re: Driving from Angouleme to Le Bugue - Perigeaux Bottleneck ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2014