We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

St. Andrews, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

Wondering if someone can advise please. I am flying to Bordeaux, taking the bus to Bordeaux station and then getting the train to Perigueux.

My french is less than useless! so was wondering if I was better to try and buy my train ticket here in the UK rather than in France? I don't know if I book a particular time of train and get delayed/miss that trian whether my ticket would be valid for the next available train. If not then I'd be better to attempt! to buy a ticket at the station so I know I will catch it.

If only I had paid more attention to learning french at school! Hope someone can advise me, thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

There is no point in trying to buy these tickets online. These are local trains with no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Most French train employees speak at least some English. Remember to say "Bonjour, monsieur" (or madame) before you try to ask for tickets. If you are really worried, have a card on which is printed "Un billet pour Perigueux, s'il vous plaît". (Or "Deux billets", or whatever.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,962 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

There are self service ticket machines at Bordeaux Gare St Jean station with multi lingual instructions. As sydneynick says, you cannot book a ticket even if you want to.

By British standards trains are very infrequent, especially at weekends. There are no trains at all on Saturdays between 1655 and 2032.

Last trains currently are these:

1655 except Sundays and Holidays

1733 daily except Saturdays

1755 weekdays only

1830 daily except Saturdays

1935 weekdays only

2032 daily

2155 Sundays and Holidays only

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

Hey Silu1234

Did the very same thing you are going to do and will be doing the opposite in about a week. From the west cost of Canada so not much french either. The bus from the airport to the Gare de Bordeaux is 7-Euros or 6-Euros if you are a senior (cash only). takes about 45 minutes. runs about every hours and it leaves from door 11 at the Bordeaux airport. The Gare de Bordeaux is quite large. there are automated machines, or counter sales of tickets and there is usually someone in the information centre in the main hall (however there was some construction going on there about a month ago). cash or CC. The ticket office is to the left when you walk in the front door.

We paid I believe about 11Euros for the trip each from Bordeaux to Perigueux, took about 1:40hrs (but it was 3 months ago) great scenic ride. Perigueux is spectacular. You will love it. I believe the trains ran about every hour or so, but we caught a 1pm train, but I know there was one about 3pm and about 5pm. so you should be okay.

If you need further info about the area, we can certainly give you more info. There is a lot to see in the Perigord (Dordonge) area.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

The Bordeaux St-Jean station is well marked, the ticket offices easy to find. What might be a bit confusing to a newcomer is how to get to your departure track - it often involves going downstairs into a corridor and finding the right staircase to ascend to your platform. There will be a large board in the middle of the train station with all the trains listed on it - look for your train and its associated track letter. Unless that letter is the track right outside the train station door (in which case all you have to do is walk outside), you'll have to go downstairs, walk the corridor, find the stairway marked with that letter, and ascend.

You'll also have to listen carefully, or ask a conductor, for the arrival in Périgueux. The trains stop for only a short period, and you'll have to be ready to get off pretty quickly.

Good luck. What are you doing after your arrival in Périgueux?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,962 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

There is a very good museum in Perigueux about the Roman city, which should be visited.

The standard adult one way fare is €21.30 from Bordeaux and the journey takes about 1hr 35 minutes.

Trains do indeed run about once each hour on weekday mornings and afternoons but at weekends there are some gaps over two hours with no trains.

Edited: 12:52 pm, April 12, 2013
6. Re: Train ticket from Bordeaux to Perigueux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 14, 2014