We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for Exploration

La Canada...
Level Contributor
112 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Base for Exploration

My wife and I plan to spend about 10 days in the Dordogne mid-September. We plan to drive to various sites and activities from a set location. We're interested in either Sarlat or Les Eyzies for our home base. My concern is getting out of and back into Sarlat on the days of car travel along with parking. It maybe easier to stay in Les Eyzies to travel more freely. Any thoughts?

La Canada...
Level Contributor
112 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for Exploration

Just read the positive comments about Montignac. How's that for a full 10 days?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for Exploration

I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay in Les Eyzies for 10 days. My house is 4 kms from there, and apart from the fact that it offers a wealth of prehistorical sites.information, it's a one-strip town with terrible traffic of its own, and probably one of the least attractive towns in the entire area. I was there last September for 3 weeks and it was still full of tour buses disgorging hordes of visitors, lengthy waits at cafés for a simple cup of coffee, jammed visitor sites...and very little parking.

You don't have to be interested in only Sarlat or Les Eyzies. There are lots of choices, though I'd probably choose Sarlat if I wanted a variety of cafés/restaurants etc. during a 10-day period.Parking/traffic aren't terrible in Sarlat in September, though busy for sure on market days. But you have other choices: St-Cyprien, Le Bugue, Domme (that's always a bit hard to get in and out of, though), St-Geniès,Montignac, towns to the south of the river...but for 10 days I'd pick a decent-size town. Check your guidebooks.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
112 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for Exploration

Thanks. Even with GPS, we've had problems with traffic in and around small towns in France and Italy. That was my concern about Sarlat since we're looking at a B&B near the center of the city. Based on your thoughts, it seems doable.

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for Exploration

We very much enjoyed Montignac last summer. Decent size town with good amenities (supermarkets, boulangeries, marche twice a week, cafes and restaurants) as well as not too far from the various sites. The location on the river is really scenic and lovely.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base for Exploration

We usually stay in Eyzies when in the Dordgogne in September ; one reason is the easy access to and from town-never a problem getting in and out. Summer is quite crowded but after the beginning of september it isn't as frantic. We like the simplicity of the town also. There are enough restaurants within walking distance at a variety of price points. Other places re fine lso but we like the uniqueness here

jhgrady

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base for Exploration

If you're opting for B&B accom you have the flexibility to do a bit of both. Why not spend some nights in Sarlat and then choose a lively active village for the the other nights? There are plenty of villages (north and south of the river) which have good patisseries, charcuteries, weekly markets and restaurants etc and much less traffic than Sarlat. And it will give you a different perspective of the area too.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
112 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base for Exploration

Thanks to all for the advice. We're thinking of 5 days at Chez Edell in Monpazier followed by 5 days at Le Manoir de la Malatrie just outside of La Roque. We thought that we could spend a day in Sarlat but see all of the other areas more easily from these 2 towns. Any thoughts?

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Base for Exploration

Anywhere in the triangle from Sarlat to Bergerac and up to Perigueux will see you well for visiting most of the area. Sarlat is still a pig to drive through in August despite the new bypass on the western side.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
112 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base for Exploration

Thank you for this input. We are now set for 6 days in Monpazier at Chez Edell followed by 7 days in Vezac. This should provide ample time to explore the bastide towns/castles and the Dordogne before heading off to St. Cirq Lapopie and the Lot.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Base for Exploration

Not sure about ample time. When we have family visit us, they go back to the UK after a week wishing that they were here for 6 weeks - in that time I could show them about a tenth of the interesting things within a 30 mile radius.