We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

Edmonton
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

Hello, we are visiting in August, 2013. I have been on the web for a number of hours. I cannot seem to find any site that offers advance tickets for the above caves.

I have learned that there are no longer advance tickets for Font de Gaume.

Any information about advance tickets for the above caves or others in the region would be greatly appreciated. We are a family of five.

Thank you in advance.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

there aren't advance tickets for either of these caves - for Lascaux, you usually stop and purchase tickets at the ticket office in Montignac, although I believe that they have an onsite office during high season.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

you have probably already seen this but I did find a phone number that may help 33 (0) 5 53 05 65 65 The 33 is the code for France, I think that you ignore the 0 when calling from outside of France, but someone more knowlegeable may know for sure. I am not sure if these offices would be open inthe winter months but they my be. The information I found said that tickets are sold in Montignac

jhgrady

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

there are no advance tickets for either of these caves. Phoning will only get you a confirmation of that in French.

Yes, you have to purchase tickets in Montignac, although I believe there is an onsite ticket desk during the peak summer months.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,682 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

we have been to Lascaux II twice and Roffignac once and had no trouble with walk up tickets. (although that is no guarantee of course) the volume of people being run through Lascaux is enormous -- a continuous batched flow. you can buy the tickets in Montignac and then if your time is a couple of hours hence, go ahead and have lunch or enjoy Montignac before driving up to the cave site.

when we went to Roffignac there were no tourists at all -- we visited with a group of French 5th graders on a field trip; I don't think it is well known or heavily touristed.

again YMMV

I am sad that they are not doing reservations for Font du Gaume as it seems incredibly inefficient to require people to line up every morning especially given the limited parking

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

No need to book in advance for Rouffignac. I was there today (I live 6 miles away) and know the people who work there.

Be aware that the tour is in French so it is worth buying the guide in English and sitting in the sun reading it before your visit.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

Thanks very much.

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

Where in Montignac does one go to buy tickers for Lascaux II.

One member of our group is claustrophobic. Should he go?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

You buy them at the Tourist Office.

Can't speak to the claustrophobia, but it's a series of dark and narrow passages.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

agreed -- different people have different levels of what makes them uncomfortable.

Lot-et-Garonne
Level Contributor
1 post
403 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advance reservations for caves - Rouffignac and Lascaux

Re Lascaux II, it's not correct to say that the tours are in French, implying that they are only in French. There are four or five a day in English.

Also, it's a fact that it's not possible to book in advance. There's no facility to do it on-line, and they won't take bookings on the phone. All you can do is turn up, and hope for the best. Pathetic, really.