We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

We have found a lovely property on the outskirts of the village, yet everything will be within walking distance. We will have a car and use this as a base for day trips. There is no owner upstairs or beside and no other adjoining property-just a free standing house with modern amenities and a very responsive owner. I have looked in St Genies and Montignac but cannot find anything suitable for just two of us. Any thoughts?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

Some thoughts:

You would be quite a distance away from the prehistoric sites in the Dordogne and some of the other most favoured attractions in the area. So it depends on how important that is to you and how far you are willing to travel on your daytrips. Some of the roads are very winding and slow.

Villefranche d.P. is a nice place although it's quite small. But if you've found ideal accommodation then that counts for quite a lot too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

While it's a lovely area I wonder about its proximity to those sights and activities you're interested in during your visit. Have you looked into the estimated driving times (e.g. viamichelin.com) to some of these places and then, if necessary, adjusted for seasonal road congestion? Also, what is your budget and, in your search for places around Montignac, what sources have you already used?

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

It might not be the best location but you still have a few interesting sites not to far away.

Cahors, Domme, La Roque-Gageac, Beynac and Carenac. A few interesting bastides like Monpazier and Monflanquin. I really liked Bonaguil castle. And those are only the closest.

You have choices around... So it will depends on what you wish to visit.

Edited: 6:41 pm, January 30, 2013
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

And you are about an hour from Sarlat (45 km) in small lovely winding roads. Which can easily be done on a day trip of the area.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

Nope, as I told you on Fodors, it's not a good base, assuming you want to visit the main sights of the Périgord Noir. Way too far south and frankly not that interesting.

Domme, LaRoque-Gageac, Beynac, and Carennac are NOT close by. Of course, if you just want a random quiet village in the SW of France and aren't interested in the sights of the Périgord, it would be fine, along with a hundred other places, but that didn't seem to be your intent.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

Villefranche-du-Périgord to Domme is 35 km in my book it's not far ;-)

To Beynac what... 40 km ?

But like I said, it depends on what they want to visit :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

Yes, I have looked on a map and it is way off in the southeastern corner of the region. What I like is that the back of the property faces the countryside and the front opens to the village. I would be delighted to find something similar near Montignac or someplace outside of Sarlat but I am not finding it! I have spent hours (literally) looking for something in a more central area, but as I have sais on "the other page", I do not want to be in a "holiday village" of gites, I do not partucularly want to share the building or grounds with an owner nor have another rental property immediately next door. There are lots of properties available, but most are way too big for the two of us, or lack some of the amenities (kitchen where I can cook and modern bathroom).

We are flying in and out of Toulouse so that may also factor into our ultimate choice. We have no set itinerary. We will want to visit some small villages, see the caves etc. but we are more here to "flaner".I will keep looking.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

It's not so much a question about how far it is to the sites, it's about what the heck you do when you get home, compared to what the heck you might do when you get home in St-Geniès, Tamniès, St-Julien, Carlux, Meyrals, St-Pompom, or the dozen other sites I recommended to her. She's thinking of spending a month, I think.It makes a difference.

And 35 kms in the Dordogne, on the roads you need to take to get places from someplace like Villefranche-du-Périgord, involves traveling maybe 25-30 kph a lot of the time. So an hour to get somewhere and an hour back. I adore driving around the Dordogne, but from what the OP posted on Fodors, her intention wasn't to have to spend hours driving to get to sites.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

Firstly Villefranche dP is a nice town and may be exactly what the OP is looking for!! There is not much at Carlux either for 'when the heck you get home'. However if you want to be a bit closer maybe look at holiday rentals near Goudon, Cazals or Salviac - all in the Lot but close to Sarlat, Domme etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villefranche du Perigord as a home base?

I am the OP. We have chosen St-Pompont: a gite within 10 minutes walk from the village.