We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domme

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Domme

Is Domme a good base for Dordogne? We are interested in beautiful villages, wine and the prehistoric caves.

Mentioned in this post
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Domme

La Roque Gageac is also lovely and on the river and a little bigger. I thought it was a lovely town. And our experience was that it was easier to get around.

Mentioned in this post
La Roque-Gageac
La Roque-Gageac
Dordogne, France
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Domme

I like all the ideas. I had wondered if Domme was harder to get in and out of. We will be there the first week of May.

Mentioned in this post
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,375 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Domme

traffic shouldn't too big a deal in May -- 2/3 of the schools in France will be on break that week, but things should still be very manageable.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Domme

We were in the area in April and thought about staying in Sarlat but decided to stay in a village called Montfort about 10 minutes away. We were travelling around each day and found it better returning to a quiet place without worrying about traffic and parking. It depends on how long you will be there but if it's longer than 2 or 3 days you may prefer staying in a quieter village and just traveling into Sarlat for the markets and a bit of shopping or dinner some nights. Sarlat is certainly lovely but there are so many other beautiful places to see that are accessible by car. We loved Domme, La Roque-Gageac and Beynac but also travelled to Rocadamour and then to the very interesting caves Gouffre De Padriac. Unfortunately we missed out on seeing Font du Gaume as you have to book online ages in advance but we loved Lascaux. We also loved the wine - and the castles!

Mentioned in this post
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
La Roque-Gageac
La Roque-Gageac
Dordogne, France
Gouffre de Padirac
Gouffre de Padirac
3,750 Reviews
Padirac, France
Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Domme

If you prefer something smaller than Sarlat but want to be within easy driving distance of there and gorgeous Domme, I can recommend staying around La Roque Gageac. It is one of 'les plus beaux villes' and is definitely worth a visit. We were not up the cliff face, but just outside the village (I assume you have a car?) in self-catering accommodation - a 'gite'. There's not much in the Perigord-Noir region of the Dordogne that isn't gorgeous!

Edited: 10:35 am, June 17, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
La Roque-Gageac
La Roque-Gageac
Dordogne, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Domme

We spent a week in Beynac last summer, up near the castle, and found that we might have enjoyed a situation with a few more options for restaurants, grocery shopping, and the like. Domme might be slightly better than Beynac on that score, but I don't think I'd want to drive within the walls of Domme that much--Cencac-et-St. Julien, just below Domme, might be a little more convenient. St. Cyprien seemed like a really convenient town, big enough, but easy to get in and out of. La Rocque Gageac has lots of restaurants (we made the short trip over from Beynac several times).

Mentioned in this post
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
Saint-Cyprien
Saint-Cyprien
Dordogne, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,375 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Domme

Yes, Domme gets very congested, even out of high season.

St-Cyprien also has a fabulous market.

Mentioned in this post
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
Saint-Cyprien
Saint-Cyprien
Dordogne, France
18. Re: Domme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 23, 2013