We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albi-carcassonne

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Albi-carcassonne

My husband and I have booked a holiday in the Dordogne at the end of August. It is an organised tour. We are flying into Toulouse and staying at a hotel in Albi. We will be in Albi for 4 days going on various organised trips. The trips do not include Carcassonne. Does anyone know how far it is between Albi and Carcassonne and would we be able to do a trip on our own.

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Barbara

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albi-carcassonne

It's about 65 miles/109km by the most direct road route. A 90 minute drive perhaps.

But, if you don't have car, it means going by train via Toulouse. Perfectly do-able but a much longer journey.

For example, you can take a train from Albi to Toulouse at 0904 on weekdays, change there and reach Carcassonne at 1132. Trains at weekends between Toulouse and Carcassonne are so infrequent that a day trip is not possible starting from Albi unless you leave at the crack of dawn.

You can find the train times at ter-sncf.com/regions/…default.aspx

but you should check nearer the time as the summer timetable begins in mid July, not that there will be many changes.

I hope that helps.

PS none of these places is in the Dordoigne. They are in the Midi-Pyrenées region.

Edited: 12:23 pm, January 23, 2012
Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albi-carcassonne

Thank you Cabsur. It is a long way so we won t bother. Is Albi a nice place to stay for 4 nights?

Thanks again.

Barbara

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albi-carcassonne

It's many years since I visited Albi but I remember it as a very nice town.

If you like art at all, visit the official museum to Toulouse Lautrec in Albi

http://www.museetoulouselautrec.net/

It's easy to get from Albi to Toulouse on the train and the city is worth a visit if it's a nice day.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,460 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albi-carcassonne

Albi has a most unusual and excellent Cathedral. It has the most amazing 'last judgment' painting that I think you will ever see. I hope you find time to visit this during your stay.

As previously mentioned, the Toulouse Lautrec Museum/Gallery, is also more than worth the effort.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albi-carcassonne

A few years ago, we stopped in Albi on our way from the Lot to Carcassonne. We weren't really expecting much and were pleasantly surprised. The Cathedral and Toulouse Lautrec Museum, as mentioned, were good

Also see: http://www.albi-tourisme.fr/us/

Albi is a pleasant place to stay, but I think most of the attractions within the city itself can be seen in a day or two.

Edited: 10:48 pm, January 28, 2012
Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albi-carcassonne

Thank you all for your messages. I have found out that even though we will be staying in Albi for 3 days we will be visiting Carcassonne on one of the days. We fly into Toulouse and then travel to Sarlat for 4 days, which sounds really beautiful. One day we travel to the caves near Lascaux , which, not being of good health, we are not sure about visiting, but we thought there might be something interesting for us to see outside the caves. On another day we visit Rocamadour which sounds very pretty and interesting. The following day we follow the Dordogne River to the village of Beynac and the beautiful gardens of Marqueyssac. We also visit Roque-Gageac and Domme before leaving Sarlat for Albi.

Do you think we are seeing the main attractions in the Dordogne area?

Thank you again.

Barbara

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Albi-carcassonne

of all the caves, Lascaux is by far the most accessible. The slopes to access the entrance are fairly gentle (and paved), then there's a short staircase and the floor of the cave is paved, as well. There are even hand rails.

If your health is questionable enough to make Lascaux difficult for you, I would be **extremely** concerned about Rocamadour and Beynac -- both are built into hills steep enough to leave the fully-abled gasping for breath. (there's a funicular at Rocamadour, but you cannot completely avoid steep stairways and hills -- and you can park fairly near the chateau for Beynac -- but the village itself is a strenuous hike). The gardens at Marqueyssac are also quite hilly and stretch long and narrow across the crest of a hill, although you could take a horse-drawn wagon.

This is really, really not a gentle or easy area to visit if you have mobility issues, as very little is flat, and most is quite hilly.

Edited: 6:06 am, January 29, 2012
Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Albi-carcassonne

My husband and I don t have walking difficulties it is just when walking too far. The holiday is booked now so we will have to take it day by day and hope for the best. We won t take any risks and the scenery we pass through sounds beautiful so I m sure the holiday will not be completely wasted. I ll let you know how we managed later in the year.

Thank you for your message Sunshine.

Barbara

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Albi-carcassonne

Lascaux should be okay -- it's not a hugely long walk from the parking lot to the entrance, and there are benches to rest before the tour. Lascaux is not terribly big, and you stop every few hundred feet to listen to the next part of the tour.

At Beynac, you should have no problems with the chateau if you use the parking lot at the top of the hill.

At Rocamadour, you can catch a little train from the parking into the town, but I don't remember what the cost is, or even whether or not there IS a charge.

Edited: 12:12 pm, January 29, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Albi-carcassonne

To answer your question in post #6, the Dordogne is a large area with many many attractions, but your tour will take you to several of the better-known ones. These, along with Albi and Carcassonne, should make for a nice vacation, and if you enjoy this region as much as we do, it will give you ideas for a return visit. Have a great time!

Edited: 10:59 pm, January 29, 2012