We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best Villages & Towns of the Dordogne?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Best Villages & Towns of the Dordogne?

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Dordogne next April/early May and as we have such a very short time to spend there, we want to make the best of it. We have stayed in Sarlat before and definitely want to go back, and we have also stayed in other parts of the region (Rocamadour and St Emilion). So, although we have been doing some research, we are trying to get an honest local opinion on charming, pretty villages and/or that would complement a stay in Sarlat. If you think that a stay in the countryside (i.e. a rural area rather than in a village or town) would better complement Sarlat, please let me know of any hotels or lodges that stand out... we would be staying at La Lanterne in Sarlat. Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,892 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best Villages & Towns of the Dordogne?

We enjoyed a stay at Bourdeilles, a small village on the river, with a castle, at hotel Les Griffons. Brantome is also a possibility.

And quite coincidentally, I had some correspondence from an Australian who rents out places in the Dordogne. His place may suit. I cannot recommend him as I don't know the apartments but you might like to investigate

http://www.frenchcottages.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
541 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best Villages & Towns of the Dordogne?

We stayed in Monpazier in the southern Dordogne in May 2010. The farmhouse B&B was run by an English couple and was excellent - called Domaine des Faures (I wrote a review on it). Monpazier has a great weekly market, three or four really good restaurants (the best was Privilege du Perigord), an excellent patisserie and charcuterie, and lovely shops & galleries. It's also a beautiful 13thC bastide village, so really atmospheric. A few kms down the road is Chateau de Biron, which is great, and a few kms further is Villereal, which has one of the best patisserie's I've ever gorged at! Then 15-20mins away is Chateau Monbazillac, where you can tour the chateau and then taste their famous wines. We also loved wandering thru the villages north of Monpazier - Belves, Cadouin (great abbey there with a really good bistro opposite), Beaumont. In short, heaps to do in a very small radius, and great restaurants, cafes and foodie stops all around!

Garden Route
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best Villages & Towns of the Dordogne?

Laurenlf, we are also planning a trip to the Dordogne in Sept.2011. I am from Knysna and have done a lot of research on that area - have never been there. We had a recommendation from a good friend who rented a small house from a SA lady in Somerset-W, that owns this place in Domme. It really looks very promising and it works out R1000 per day. Send me a sms with email address to 0834620521 if you are interrested. I can then give you the website address as well.

4. Re: The Best Villages & Towns of the Dordogne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 08, 2011