We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

Hello, We are planning to visit some of the caves in the Dordogne and then on to Nimes to see some Roman ruins. I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on how we should accomplish this. We are beginning and ending in Paris. I looked at RailEurope and they have a pormotion "anywhere anytime France" -the fares seem too good to be true. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Nimes
Nimes
Gard, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

To go to many places of interest in the Dordogne you need a car. Trains too far away from many caves etc. Also, driving in the French countryside is great as you get to see so many little villages, ruins, and "find" things you just wouldn't see from a train.

However you decide to do it, enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Dordogne
Dordogne
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

Yes, thank you, we plan on renting a car but we would like to get down to the area by train perferably by TGV. Would anyone know the closest TGV station to Les Eyzies?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,885 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

Here is a map of the TGV system

bonjourlafrance.net/france-trains/tgv-map.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

Thank you very much!! It seems as though we are able to get a TGV from Paris to Libourne that will take about 3 hours. Does anyone know if:

1. we can rent a car at the Libourne station and return it at the TGV Avignon station?

2. we were thinking of driving to Les Eyzies and then on to Starlat

3. After a night in Sarlat we would like to drive to Nimes

Anyone take this drive? any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am sure we are not spending enough time in the Dordogne, but as they say, "no rest for the weary".

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Libourne
Libourne
Gironde, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Nimes
Nimes
Gard, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,885 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

We drove the following route but we had a lot more time and took days after a week at Sarlat.

www.nickbooth.id.au/France08/France.html

You can use www.viamichelin.com to work out routes and times.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

Going to Liborne to get to the Sarlat area will mean two hours or three hours of driving just to get over to that area, assuming that you take the toll road (not very interesting driving, but the older roads will make the trip much longer). My suggestion would be to take the train from Paris to either Perigueux or Brive and rent a car there.

The train trip would be about 4 hours, but you will be much closer to your destination when you arrive, and the trip from there to the Sarlat area will include some places you want to see in any case. For example, Perigueux has a very old medieval area in the city center, with a church that dates to probably around 1200 and an area of criss-crossing little streets much like Sarlat's, plus a small area of Roman ruins. From there, you would be probably about 45 to 60 minutes from the Sarlat area, with things to see along the way if you feel like stopping for them (e.g., Hautefort chateau is not far off the main road from Perigueux over to the Sarlat area, and very interesting and beautiful). Or, you could go more or less straight south from Perigueux to Bergerac, before going over to the Sarlat area.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Perigueux
Perigueux
Dordogne, France
Hautefort
Hautefort
Dordogne, France
Bergerac
Bergerac
Dordogne, France
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

I forgot to answer your car rental question. The larger train stations (and certainly Brive and Perigueux and all the TGV stations) will have multiple rental car agencies right at the station. You can check on picking up one place and dropping at another by just going to the agencies web sites and doing a "pretend" booking - if you are from the US and will have the car for more than a week, Kemwel has good prices. You will also find Avis, Hertz, Europcar, etc., just about everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Perigueux
Perigueux
Dordogne, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

Thank you all so much, Susioz, lynnb48, Berkeley t. After a family consultation, we decided that we just do not have enough time to do both Dordogne Valley and Nimes/Provence in four days.

We are planning our trip for April and our travel plans (as currently designed) have us traveling on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Do any of you think we might run into problems, e.g. closed car rental? Also, we have never been to the Dordogne, is April a good time to go? Or do any of you think we should try another area and leave Dordogne for a warmer season? We have been to Provence before and love it but the dordogne does sound lovely. Thanks again for all of your help, I will certainly look into Brive and Perigueux Stations. Any thoughts about driving to Dordogne?

Mentioned in this post
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nimes
Nimes
Gard, France
Perigueux
Perigueux
Dordogne, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

lynb48 thank you for your link, I saw those photos when I was roaming around the forum a while ago, very beautiful!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Sarlat then on to Avignon TGV/local trains or car?

I don't think you will find rental places open on a Sunday at any train station, even a large one, except maybe major cities like Bordeaux. The Monday might be okay even though it's a holiday (try doing some test bookings on line and see what you get), but if you can rearrange to arrive on Saturday that probably will work out best.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France