We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lascaux IV information

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Lascaux IV information

Has anyone been to Lascaux IV yet? I'm mainly wondering about reservations. At Lascaux II, there were English tours every 20 min or so when I went in Sept a few years ago. Do they still have frequent tours that aren't in French?

Online, you can only book French tours or 1 English tour a day, but I was planning to just show up like I did for Lascaux II. Will this work? If we have to we can book online, but we have so much booked already that I hate to book if we don't have to. (We're visiting Spanish caves too, and those are all bookable in advance online.)

As I understand it, Lascaux IV is a recreation of the entire Lascaux cave (Lascaux II was only part of it) which you go through with a guide, and then there's also a museum that you go through with a tablet guide. Do I have that right?

Thanks!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lascaux IV information

Friends went yesterday and booked online. Said it went well...few English tours though so you need to arrange in advance.

Edited: 2:30 am, May 08, 2017
Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lascaux IV information

Friends went yesterday and booked online. Said it went well...

Edited: 2:32 am, May 08, 2017
Illinois
Level Contributor
18,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lascaux IV information

Thanks. Did they say if there was really only one English tour a day? That just seems like a huge change from the way they did it before when they had English tours throughout the day. I think there were multiple tours in German as well (and maybe Spanish?), so it seems odd they'd open this big new facility and decrease the tour options.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
632 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lascaux IV information

I was also looking this up (will be visiting the area soon) and notice only 2 English tours daily : 11.06am and 3.30pm : …lascaux.fr/en/… and you can pre-book (upto a day prior) or buy at the venue itself (separate quota of tickets for online buyers and on-site visitors)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
632 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lascaux IV information

I visited Lascaux IV last week - there are only 2 English tours, I showed up without pre-booking for the 11.00am one (it wasn't very busy, being May). Yes, it includes a guided visit through the recreation of the entire cave, followed by a lot of hi-tech including a movie experience incl 3D, a multimedia wall, virtual reality zone etc. Lascaux II only has French tours now (with lesser time inside the cave), so its clear they're pushing most of the tourist traffic to Lascaux IV having spent millions to build it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lascaux IV information

Thanks for the feedback. It seems strange that they'd build a much larger facility and then run fewer tours, although the schedule could be different in high season. Currently I think we'll just show up and take what we can get. We both understand some French, so it's not critical that the tour be in English, it's just easier if it is.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lascaux IV information

We went to Lascaux IV today. There are spots on English tours available on site that are not available online. Before we went, there were no English tours available online. We got to the ticket counter about 10:50 (about a 20 min wait), and the next English tour was at 12:30, so you would be more efficient booking online but there is definitely more available on site. We took a French tour because that was available at 11:18.

Taking the French tour defaults your video guide to French too, but if you go into Settings and then Profile, you can change the language.

The new Lascaux definitely includes parts of the cave that were not included last time. I didn't find a lot in the museum that wasn't already mentioned in the tour or that we didn't already know, but if it was an introduction to cave art, you'd probably get new information from it.

At first I thought the new Lascaux reproduction was better than Lascaux II, but I found if I got to the back of the group, it was hard to hear the guide (my headphones failed halfway through) and I couldn't see what she was pointing at. It was easy enough in the Hall of Bulls, but I think the group was too big for the smaller parts of the reproduction.

I will add that Lascaux does not feel the same to me as seeing the actual cave. I thought that when I saw Lascaux II as well. My daughter (19 y/o) thought the same thing - she said it was like going to a museum, not like visiting a cave. The temperature and the humidity were wrong. It just doesn't feel like you're in a cave.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lascaux IV information

I apparently just missed this; we went to Lascaux II for the third time this fall (we were taking friends who hadn't seen it) So curious minds want to know -- what happened to Lascaux III? We also visited the replica of the Chauvet cave at Pont d'Arc in the Ardeche forrest. It is amazing and worth the trouble to get to. None of them feels like a 'real cave -- but the art experience is wonderful.

Our most memorable visits have been to the Font du Gaume but the pictures there are much degraded since they were not protected like Lascaux and Chauvet. There is something awe inspiring though about being in front of the real thing.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lascaux IV information

Lascaux III is a touring exibition. Our guide said it's in Japan right now (I think) and it's going to China next year. I read somewher that Lascaux II is still going to be open, but with only French tours. I think it's shut right now for renovations though (I'm pretty sure that's what the guide said today).

I wish I had gone to Pont d'Arc when I was in Provence, but it was a long drive and I decided I didn't want to drive that far for a replica. However, I would like to have "seen" Chauvet now that I've read more about it and we're doing a tour of zillions of caves.

Edited: 5:45 pm, June 28, 2017
10. Re: Lascaux IV information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:34 pm, September 12, 2017