We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
39 reviews
Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Hi,

Any idea how long we should give ourselves to get from Biarritz to San Sebastian ? We will be driving. And is there a border crossing and if so, any ideas of queuing times?

Have looked at the train, but with having to change trains due to gauge requirements, thought it is likely to be easier to drive.

Thank you!!

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

It is just 50 mn for a 50 km drive on the motorway, according to Viamichelin.

You'll go past the border without noticing it.

On your way to San Sebastian I'd rather suggest you take time visiting Hondarribia .From there you'd take the GI 3440 corniche road to Pasai Donibane a very beautiful village situated in a Strait.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Many thanks for the advice.

Will try and fit in your suggestion if there is time!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,103 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

If you are renting a car do make sure your rental company permits travel into Spain (some do not) and then check what extra charges may be imposed.

Going by train is actually very easy and in Spain ridiculously cheap. The little Euskotren train from Hendaye to Donostia (the local name for San Sebastian) runs every half hour every day. You can enjoy a day out with some wine! But the last train from Hendaye back to Biarritz is rather early.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
497 reviews
4. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Traffic conditions depend on when you are travelling. Weekends are busier and holiday traffic in July and August can double the journey time.

The border crossing is a non-event, I have to point it out to my clients when we pass otherwise you probably wouldn't notice. If you have the time then it might be nice to take the non-motorway route, something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/SVLjw It will take longer but you will be able to stop off in some nice villages along the way such as; Guéthary, Saint Jean de Luz and Hondarribia.

There is a video of the driving route available here: biarritzairporttransfers.com/Biarritz-to-San…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Hi Cubsur, I'm looking to travel back the otherway (from San Sebatian to Biarrtiz). I'm looking at the Euskotren website - just trying to find where it picks you up in san sebastian? IT looks like the 2 San Sebastian sations are called DONOSTIA AMARA IRITSIERA-LLEGADA and DONOSTIA AMARA IRTEERA-SALIDA. I've tried to google where they are located but having no lucl. Can you advse where I would catch the Euskotren to Henddaye from? Here is the timetable link:

euskotren.es/sites/…29.pdf

Thanks!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,103 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Amara is the main Euskotren station in the centre of Donostia - Donostia is the same city as San Sebastian.

It is not the same station as used by the national railway RENFE.

The locals prefer to use the Basque name for the city, Donostia. LLEGADA means arrival, SALIDA means departure.

So find your way to Amara station, from where the trains leave for Hendaye every 30 minutes.

Edited: 3:58 am, April 22, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Fantastic, thanks for the advice! Also, just to confirm - would you suggest I would be ok to buy the ticket on the day from Amara or would it be better / safer to pre book a ticket?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
497 reviews
8. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

Aly O, The Amara station is here: https://goo.gl/maps/HZpbf

Don't think you can pre-book tickets for the Euskotren.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

The Euskotren is just the local commuter train. There's no need for advance tickets.

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
10. Re: Biarritz to San Sebastian - advice please !!

We're two women who are "thinking" about traveling by car from Biarritz to San Sebastian for a day trip. Do we cross the mountains? Or is this an easy trip along the coast?

Get answers to your questions about Biarritz