We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

Norwich, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

Hi!

I'm going to Biarritz this Summer (2011) to (hopefully) get a job in a bar for the nights and learn to surf during to days for a month or two.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good surf schools/instructors and getting a job (I speak French and have lots of bar/restaurant experience)......

Many thanks for any info......look forward to hearing from you!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

"get a job in a bar for the nights" Really? In this economy? I hope your French is excellent. People who work in restaurants and bars in the area tend to be professionals, not part-timers, but who knows, you might get lucky.

As far as surfing schools go, you can check the following:

www.biarritz.co.uk/surfing.htm

Getaria Gipuzkoa
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

Here you are 3 schools, but there are mora in Biarritz and around:

Local guys, have this school:

www.hastea.com

Quicksilver has this school:

www.ecole-de-surf-biarritz.fr

The first Surf Shop in Europe, Jo Moraiz, has its own school.

www.jomoraiz.com

As a waiter in Biarritz? looks difficult, but who knows.

I know better the Zarautz area (about 30 minutes drive Just after San Sebastian., There are many bars/restaurants, many part time job options good surf, some schools.... but you would need to fix it latest on June, and speak a bit of Spanish, and some Basque would be very helpfull to get local friends ;-)

Good luck, and good surf!!

3. Re: Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:14 pm, June 12, 2011
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

Hello

Most people come down to this area at the start of June to look for seasonal work. The 'high' period isn't until July and August so you can get work later than this.

If you want to work in a customer-facing role then you will need to speak very good French. There are plenty of jobs where you don't need to though: cooking, cleaning etc.

If you are prepared to stray further away from Biarritz to some of the more purpose-built tourist areas then you might find it easier to find work/accommodation. Places like Vieux-Boucau and Bidart are some examples.

With regards to surf schools they generally cater for tourists so I would recommend going surfing with locals that you meet when you arrive. You will pick up the skills far more quickly when you have friends in the water with you screaming at you to catch a wave!

5. Re: Learning to surf in Biarritz and the surrounding area....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 10, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Biarritz