We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport to bordeaux

Melksham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
transport to bordeaux

our cruise ship shuttle bus will drop us off in Le Verdon in may. we would like to know if we can get to Bordeaux easily from there. i am semi disabled and cannot walk far. or will there be enough in Le Verdon to keep us busy--i like local craft shops and cafes? be glad of any suggestions. ann

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport to bordeaux

I am very much afraid you cannot. Bordeaux is 60 miles away, 2 hours away by train which has a very limited service and as you can tell is a slow local train. A round trip in a day is impossible unless you start at 625am. The next train on weekdays is not until 1124 and the last ones back are at 1711 and 1811. There are no buses.

The dock at Le Verdon is a couple of miles out of town, village really. Le Verdon itself is a small village and not much happens there.

I regularly visit the nearby small town of Soulac sur Mer and a lot of the cruise ships bring people there by bus as it is only a few miles. Perhaps there will be an organised side trip there. If not, there are one or two local taxis available.

Soulac is a popular seaside resort. It won't be very busy in May but they do welcome visitors from ships, especially the people who own two wine stores! It is more or less flat as well, except some of the access to the beach, which will be of benefit to you. Soulac has a really nice indoor market and also has one of the oldest churches anywhere in Europe - the Basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 2:03 pm, January 16, 2014
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport to bordeaux

You can also probably guess that a taxi to Bordeaux would cost a small fortune. I am fairly surprised that the cruise company does not offer their own trip to Bordeaux, seeing as how it is such a popular place to visit.

Melksham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport to bordeaux

yes, excursions are available but most have too much walking which is why we prefer to make our own way.

Bordeaux, France
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport to bordeaux

Cubsur has been very accurate. I often collect clients from Le Verdun and it is very remote.

The 'port' is basically a small container port at the northern tip of the Gironde estuary. Unless you have a tour booked there is little option but to stay on the boat. The security at the port is tight, and there are no easy taxis or buses on hand. I am surprised that cruise ships stop at Le Verdun, as it is a long way from Bordeaux.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport to bordeaux

Some of the ships are too big to get down the river to the city of Bordeaux at certain states of the tide, which is why they use the rather remote and bleak commercial facility at Le Verdon.

A trip into Soulac will suit you as it is basically one main street a couple of hundred yards long with a couple of busy side streets. The town is well known for its 'villas', which date from the late 19th century when the town was a summer destination for the gentry of Bordeaux. See this article in French which has some nice pictures

associations-patrimoine.org/filemanager/file…

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport to bordeaux

Have you thought about taking the offered excursion to Bordeaux and then doing you own thing (with less walking) once you're there. Bordeaux is really a beautiful city to experience. If that is not possible then I agree with the other contributors that Soulac is a pleasant place to spend the day.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport to bordeaux

Travelling around the city of Bordeaux is easy to do without too much walking as it has a comprehensive network of trams and buses. A one day pass for the whole system costs only €4,30 = about £3.52. It is a very busy and often hectic system. Although trams and buses are accessible to those with mobility problems, they are often packed full.

The city is built on flat ground, so not a huge problem.

8. Re: transport to bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 24, 2015