We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux & St.Emilion: fly or drive from Provence?

Boston
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bordeaux & St.Emilion: fly or drive from Provence?

Bonjour! my travel companion and I are at the final stages of planning our southern France trip which will take place late October. We have 2 nights at the end of the trip which we will spend in Bordeaux/St. Emilion. Here's where we're hoping for some TA advise/opinions: We can't decide whether to fly from Marseille to Bordeaux or just drive from our last stop in Provence (St. Remy) to St. Emilion on Thursday 10/24. If we fly to Bordeaux (one hour flight), we're thinking we'd spend the 2 nights in Bordeaux and do a day trip to St. Emilion (either on our own via the train, or on a full day orgainized tour)- the train Bordeaux to St. E seems less than convenient/easy, but maybe it's ok? If we drive right to St. E (we're planning 6.5 hours for the drive), we'd spend Thursday night in St.E and get to Bordeaux later on Friday for one night. We'd like to understand how the flight/train logistics have worked for others. (yet another option would be to fly to Bordeaux, and train over to St. E that night, but it would be 7 PM or so before we got there)... very much appreciate any and all input!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux & St.Emilion: fly or drive from Provence?

I would fly. I hate that drive. Besides, what will you do with a car in Bordeaux?

Taking the train from Bordeaux to St-Emilion is a breeze. Not sure why you'd think it wouldn't be convenient. But I wouldn't fly to Bordeaux and then get on a train to St-Emilion right away. At the end of October it will be pitch dark when you get there and little will be open. You have a bit of a walk ahead of you into town when you alight at the train station.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,651 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux & St.Emilion: fly or drive from Provence?

Last trains from Bordeaux to St Emilion are at 20.05hrs, which you probably would not make with a 7pm landing at Bordeaux unless you had a taxi waiting with motor running.then at 22.02hrs except Saturdays.

The only other 'problem' I can see is that the station at St Emilion is about 10 minutes walk from the village itself. There is a phone booth outside the station building linked to a local taxi company.

Trains run about once each hour on weekdays, about once every two hours at weekends.

Current timetable valid until 14th December.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/26-AF…

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
3. Re: Bordeaux & St.Emilion: fly or drive from Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 22, 2014