We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

Hi,

I booked a ticket from Paris to Bordeaux on the TGV atlantique and later booked from Bordeaux to Toulouse also on TGV. The journey is only 5 minutes later and I am worried that I will not have enough time to transfer.

Can anyone tell me how many TGV platforms there are?

Is it likely that it will be the same train?

Thank-you!!

Declan

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

It may well be the same train as the TGV's to Toulouse through Bordeaux do tend to have a timetabled wait of 5-10 minutes there. If it is then you still may have to move to the second reserved seat. If you let s know the date and time we could let you know.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

Some trains do carry two numbers when the train from Paris is made up of two sets of cars and splits in Bordeaux or elsewhere. Check your ticket. If the Bordeaux - Toulouse leg bears a different train number (and different voiture and place numbers) you may well have to move to the front part of the train at Bordeaux. If in doubt , ask staff on the train. Or it may be that you have booked Paris - Bordeaux on a separate train completely, a slower one, which is overhauled at Bordeaux by the faster one for Toulouse.

I have had a quick look at my current printed timetable. The Paris - Toulouse trains are numbered 8501, 8503, 8505, 8511 and 8513. 8515 runs on some Fridays only.

Should you need to change trains, they usually use platforms 1 - 4 at Bordeaux for long distance trains. You shouldn't have a problem with 5 minutes between trains if you are poised and ready to go.

Here's an example from the live departures board

TGV 8541 17h51 IRUN TGV 03

TGV 8590 17h51 TARBES TGV 03

Same train, two different numbers, as it splits down the line at Dax. 03 is the platform number.

You can access the live departures board for Bordeaux, showing platforms, at gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

Wow. Very quick responses; very much appreciated!!

My journey there is:

TGV Atlantique

Paris Montparnasse

12:24 01/08/13

ARR: Bordeaux St Jean

15:42 01/08/13

CLASS: First Class Seat

TRAIN NO: 8537

COACH/SEAT: 003/051

003/054

And to Toulouse:

TGV Atlantique

DEP: Bordeaux St Jean

15:47 01/08/13

ARR: Toulouse Matabiau

17:57 01/08/13

CLASS: Standard Class Seat

TRAIN NO: 8505

COACH/SEAT: 020/054

020/053

It does look like it is the same train but not sure.

Crazy that I had to do it like that as I needed a return from Bordeaux but a single to Toulouse. Worked out much cheaper to buy separately to Toulouse.

Thanks

Declan

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

I think you'll be fine, even if it's a different train (and it probably isn't). I often make really quick transfers in Bordeaux, and unless you've got really cumbersome luggage, it's not hard (even if you have to go into the unnderground tunnel and up the stairs to another platform). The conductors are very helpful. Don't worry.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

Thank you very much!

Very helpful and really quick reply. We'll just have to ready if it turns out to need a change.

Declan

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

They are two parts of the same train.

The 1227 departure from Paris is train 8537 Paris - Hendaye combined as far as Bordeaux with train 8505 Paris - Toulouse.

At Bordeaux the train splits, with the front section leaving for Toulouse at 1547 and the rear section for Hendaye a few minutes later.

Therefore as you will be in two different coaches, and you cannot walk through the train, you will need to be ready to move to the front section on arrival at Bordeaux. Remember these trains are 20 coaches long.

There is always quite a scrum when TGV trains arrive in Bordeaux, especially in August. Masses get off, masses more get on and masses rush out onto the platform for a quick fag!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

Coach 3 to coach 20 may be almost the full length of the train. Although sometimes the coach numbers do not run completely logiclally. However you should be fine.

8. Re: Bordeaux train station TGV transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 25, 2014