We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

Which Bordeaux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

We are planning to take a 1600 train to St. Emilion and returning to Bordeaux on the 1720. I know this is a short visit but is it worth doing for the time we will have?

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

Not at all—you'll barely have time to walk the 15 minutes from the train station up the hill to the top of Saint-Emilion and then 10 minutes back again. If you just want to check off on a list that you were there, then okay; otherwise you will either miss your return train because you'll want to stay longer, or you'll leave pretty frustrated.

Edited: 12:55 pm, May 10, 2013
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

Gosh, no! That doesn't sound like a good plan at all. Even if the train station dumped you off right in the middle of town, which it doesn't, you'd barely have time for a decent look around.

USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

I am very sorry I goofed with the times I supplied we leave Bordeaux at 1600 but return at 1920 not 1720 so is this worth it

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

This is a bit better—again, with the time to walk to and from the train station you'll have somewhat over two hours to discover Saint-Emilion. Depending on how deeply you wish to experience the town this may or may not be sufficient. You're the best judge of how you prefer to spend your time visiting new places (i.e., walking though a museum or cathedral as opposed to stopping and reading the exhibit cards), so if you feel that this would be sufficient for your style of travel then why not, go do it.

Edited: 6:43 pm, May 10, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

Thank you very much-I know the time is short but a taste is better than a thirst. I am sure we will be able to come back again for a much longer visit.

6. Re: Taking the train to St. Emilion from Gare St. Jean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 13, 2014