We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

Which Bordeaux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
6 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

We are planning to travel from Hendaye to Paris CDG (TGV) but there is a VERY close connection time at the transfer in Bordeaux. I am assuming this is too risky. Is there something I don't know?

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

The Bordeaux train station is not all that large for connections—this is usually a matter of taking a short walk from one platform to another via an underground passage.

You don't say how short the connection time is, but if you've got at least 10 minutes (and your train arrives on time) you should have no problem.

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

Thank you for the station info. The connection time is not much more than 10 minutes, and it is the "if the train is on time" part that makes me nervous. I am thinking we will change our plans and spend a night in Bordeaux instead.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

All the TGV trains from Hendaye to Paris are direct and do not require a change in Bordeauxx, in the normal timetable anyway.

I can see only one train from Hendaye to Bordeaux that is not TGV and that does have a connection for Paris and that involves a wait of 50 minutes.

Are you sure you are reading the timetable correctly?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

It's not at ALL uncommon for connections at stations in France to be 10 minutes, or even less. It won't be an issue unless you are infirm or struggling with loads of luggage. If you're infirm, arrange ahead of time for wheelchair assistance (the SNCF does an excellent job with this). If you're struggling with too much luggage, well, that's another issue entirely. I have made dozens and dozens of connections in Bordeaux over many years without a hitch. Everything is clearly marked on the signposts when you exit the train, and the conductors are there to help if you need them.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

I assume that the connection is from a TGV that is going to Paris Montparnasse to one that starts in Bordeaux and goes via CDG to Lille/Brussels. If that is the case the connection time of a bit over 10 minutes should be fine. The only problem could be that you will be rushed to get to the right coach and not have time to comfortably settle down in your seats before departure.

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

That would be great, but when I enter the 2 stations (Hendaye and Paris CDG), the schedule shows TGV8542 changing to TGV5266 in Bordeaux. It also gives me 2 different coach reservations.

Thanks for your help.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

What website are you using, and what date are you traveling?

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

I am using TGV-europe.com. We hope to travel on June 12. Since they tell me those reservations aren't yet available, I used June 5 for info on the schedule.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

I hope you aren't flying back to the US on that same day - but am assuming that may be the case for taking the train to CDG.

There are direct trains from Hendaye to Paris Montparnasse.

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Close train connections on the Hendaye to Paris CDG route

We fly out the next day. Thanks for your help! I now better understand my options. We will either spend a night in Bordeaux or make the connection in Paris to get to the airport.